Yamaha 631 Eflat compensator SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Yamaha 631 Eflat compensator SOLD

Post by Sam Gnagey »

I bought this gem last year from Steve Call thinking that it would be more authentic for my playing in our brass band Old Crown Brass Band (third section champions 2019).
I love the way the instrument plays but just can't get the hang of the 4th valve being where it is. Steve Did a great job describing the instrument and its history. I'll let his words speak for the horn:

"Here is a wonderful Yamaha Silver Eb Compensating Tuba that has been my main professional instrument for the last decade. I recently retired after 39 years as a tuba professor. I played this instrument in solo recitals, brass quintets, tuba-euphonium quartets, recording sessions for films/TV/video games, brass band, and orchestrally on bass tuba parts such as those by Berlioz.

Here is a history of professional Yamaha Eb Tubas as best as I can recollect them. the "S" next to the model number indicated silver plating. I was at one time a "Yamaha Artists" and have owned and played extensively on all of them. This is likely more information than you want to know, but here goes. . . >

1. In the 1980s Yamaha introduced the YEB-321, a really good non-compensating 4-valve instrument that was very popular. Mine cost $800 brand new!
2. It was followed in the late 1980s by YEB-381, a 5 valve version of the 321 with a dependent rotary 5th valve on the fourth valve tubing. This solved a lot of intonation issues in the low (extension) register, although there was still not enough length in the 5th valve slide to play low E. I added tubing to the 5th valve on mine to make low E possible without pulling slides.
3. In the 1990s Yamaha introduced its first compensating Eb, the YEB-631 (this one). It has 17.5" bell and is my favorite of the Yamaha Eb tubas.
4. In the late 1990s or early 2000s they introduced the YEB-632, with basically the same dimensions as the YEB-631, except that it has a 19" bell that is similar to the popular Besson/Boosey&Hawkes instruments. I don't think that this was an improvement over the 631 because the bigger bell had made the sound less focused in the high register and the overall sound is more scattered than the 631 in my opinion.
5. The most recent rendition of the Yamaha Eb tuba is the YEB-632II (Neo) that is an improvement over the previous YEB-632 in that it is more similar in sound and carrying power than the 632 and was designed for the British Brass Band market.

Of them all this YEB-631S is my preferred sound, intonation, clarity and overall user friendliness.
I put a longer main tuning slide on this instrument so I can play outside gigs in hot weather. The tuning slide works for me in all indoor settings as well."

I'm asking $3750 for it which is less than I paid for it. It comes with a great original Yamaha case. There are a few minor ding/dents in the bell. Free Greyhound shipping if you can pick it up at your closest Express point. USA buyers only.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sam Gnagey on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Yamaha 631 Eflat compensator

Post by tbonesullivan »

Nice!!! Those are great horns! Good luck with the sale! Did you just replace the legs on the main tuning slide, or the whole slide?
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Yamaha 631 Eflat compensator SOLD

Post by Sam Gnagey »

SOLD