Off the Market: Willson 3200 RZ-5

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
KyleRichter
bugler
bugler

Off the Market: Willson 3200 RZ-5

Post by KyleRichter »

Up for sale is my five valve, silver Willson rotor F, with the fifth valve reconfigured to be in the right hand from the original left hand setup. It’s silver plated, no dings or dents, just some miscoloration on the silver in spots. I believe the horn was built around 2004, and plays better and more secure in the low register than any other F tuba I’ve tried, regardless of pistons or rotors. It’s got a great big sound, plays well in tune with minimal slide movements, and plays really well as a “do it all” sort of horn.

I bought this horn from Joe Sellmansberger right after I tried it in Knoxville at ITEC 2016, so you know it was well taken care of and brought up to factory original settings, aside from the right hand reconfiguring of the fifth valve.

Asking $9,500 for the tuba including a cordura Cronkhite bag made just before Glenn retired and sold the company. Located in Long Beach, CA, just south of Los Angeles, and would prefer avoiding shipping, unless the buyer wants to cover the cost/risk.

Pictures found here: https://imgur.com/a/0lrDs" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

If you have any questions or interest, feel free to message me.
Last edited by KyleRichter on Sat May 09, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KyleRichter
bugler
bugler

Re: For Sale: Willson 3200 RZ-5

Post by KyleRichter »

Yeah it’s a great horn, honestly does everything you could possibly want, and very well, but somehow I find myself again wanting something new and different haha. The Willson horns are such tanks with massive core heavy sounds it seems, and it’s fantastic!
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

Any idea how it compares to a YFB 822 w/r/t low range and intonation?
KyleRichter
bugler
bugler

Post by KyleRichter »

Yeah I’ve played it next to an 822 a bunch, and compared them. They both speak just about as easily as the other in the low range (C below the staff and lower). The Willson actually has a more secure low range around C than the 822, and that’s not to say the 822 is bad at all down there, but the Willson is really good in terms of that partial being very secure. The fourth and first slide on the Willson are easily reachable, and the slides need only a bit of adjustment for low AB’s, G’s, and F#’s. Overall intonation is pretty close and consistent on the Willson, with a couple notes like C in the staff that are a bit high, but very workable, just like an 822, but usually different notes than each other. The sound of the Willson is more directional/clear to my ear than an 822, but still with a lot of resonance. The 822 is a little more broad and round in comparison.
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

Nice description. Thanks!