4v BBb Tuba $1850

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Julian
bugler
bugler

4v BBb Tuba $1850

Post by Julian »

Hi there!

For your consideration is a 4v BBb tuba branded “El Dorado”, likely made by Cerveny in Czechoslovakia. I Believe this is an Alex 163 copy.

I played this tuba for a year in the Toronto Youth Wind Orchestra and with my school band at Carnegie hall. It has a very good sound and plays easily and in tune. Has a few dents in the larger section of the bugle that do not affect playability. I am selling it because I switched to CC tuba. Comes with original gig bag.

Asking $2500 CAD ($1850 USD) OBO. Horn is located outside of Toronto, Canada. I can probably drive a couple hours to meet serious buyers. I would very much prefer not to ship, however I could possibly ship the horn assuming the buyer covers all costs and assumes liablility for anything that might happen during shipping.

I might also be open to trading the horn + cash for a rotary f tuba.

Julian

Pictures can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: 4v BBb Tuba $1850

Post by bort »

What does it say on the bell, below "El Dorado"?
Julian
bugler
bugler

Post by Julian »

bort wrote:What does it say on the bell, below "El Dorado"?

It says “Downs, California”
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Classic B&S 101 clone. Looking closely at the pics, I believe this tuba to be an early Chinese clone of the B&S 101 ('Sonora', 'Weltklang', etc) tuba. The thumbring, ferrules, and name on the bell point to that.

If everything is in good working order and the slides and valves/S-linkage are good, these can be very good playing tubas because they are copies of the old B&S 101 design. Pretty much an older version of the Mack 200 BBb :!:
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

bloke wrote:We used to have a rental tenor saxophone that was engraved “El Dorado”.
Down by the serial number was the Yanagisawa trademark (not the word, “Y....”)
We always suspected it to be a store brand.
Oh, yeah - I played one of those. I was a saxophonist in another life... and I really loved Yanagisawa saxes. I was thrilled to learn back then that Yanagisawa had made many, many stencils. For years I kept an eye out for "stealth" Yani's with names like Whitehall, Dorado (w/o El), and Astro (must have been a space-age horn). The real prize was the baritone sax they made for Vito. There were lots of those in the world then, but I bet they are showing their age now.

B&S also made saxophones back in the those days and, not surprisingly, made many stencil horns. I can't remember many of the names except Ernie Northway. That was a FINE horn!...
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb