FS: Kroner CC Tuba $2,250

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Tom B.
bugler
bugler

FS: Kroner CC Tuba $2,250

Post by Tom B. »

Kroner CC tuba for sale.

The origin of the Kroner brand is rather obscure. I’ve been told it was manufactured in the former Czechoslovakia. This particular tuba was originally purchased sometime in the 1970s at Custom Music in Ferndale, MI by a music education major. He played it through his undergraduate and graduate degrees, and for most of his career as a high school music teacher and performer. The original owner is, unfortunately, no longer alive. I am the second owner and I purchased it from him in 2004. This is the first tuba I owned after switching from French horn.

It could be considered a small 4/4 or a large 3/4 tuba in size. The bell is 16 inches in diameter and it has four rotary valves. I have supplied a picture of it next to my Meinl-Weston 2155 CC for comparison purposes. The lacquer was removed by the original owner. About 12 years ago, I had it outfitted with new Minibal linkages. It will come with a tight-fitting Gard gig bag. Asking $2,250 + shipping.

Minuses:
• No lacquer means it’s not much to look at
• Despite the new linkages, the valves are still somewhat clackety

Neutral:
• Surprisingly good shape for a tuba this old. There is a single 1.5 inch dent just proximal to the bottom bow (see picture)
• Reasonably in tune

Positives:
• Valves are noisy but work great
• Slides move easily
• Flexible with excellent response
• A very nice German sound

I am located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and willing to meet a buyer from Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, or Detroit regions halfway. Otherwise, I will ship.

Photos are available at https://photos.app.goo.gl/JNpT5SeQtbwz6X9YA
Last edited by Tom B. on Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: FS: Kroner CC Tuba

Post by bort »

Very cool tuba!

Dang it, I was just in the UP a couple of weeks ago, would have loved to try this tuba... And try to talk my wife into it. :)

Very cool!
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

The Kroner tubas were Czech. They were made by the Amati communist brass instrument cabal which included Cerveny, Amati and Lidl. I never knew Custom had imported a CC Kroner, they were exclusively BBb tubas when I was in school.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

Alex C wrote:The Kroner tubas were Czech. They were made by the Amati communist brass instrument cabal which included Cerveny, Amati and Lidl. I never knew Custom had imported a CC Kroner, they were exclusively BBb tubas when I was in school.
All rotary horns were (are still are) built by Cerveny in Hradec Kralove and not Amati in Krasilce (Graslitz).

This is a Cerveny CCB-481 (or Amati ACB-481), the CC model of the ubiquitous 4/4 contrabass CBB-681 from which the Miraphone 186 (get it?) and a host of other German/Czech tubas was derived. There is a reason that most "German" or "European" rotary tubas are effectively clones of the Cerveny *81 tubas: it is a great design.

The linkages have been altered but that is a minor problem to solve. The oval paddles signify a slightly "old model" (1960s-1970s-1980s?) - before the retooling for the current versions which included a switch from hand built bows to hydraulically formed bows, different bell and stack geometry and the like.

My experience as well as most other anecdotal reports here and elsewhere is that these modern "old model" tubas play and sound much better than the current models.

In short, this instrument is most likely an excellent piece which needs a bit of TLC.

FWIW:

This is a 481 because it has brass outer slide legs. The *81 series were all built on the same tooling and the only difference in models is "trim level" (slide leg, lead pipe material; krantz or not; whatever) the basic horns are all the same. As mentioned above, time period is also a factor as the tooling has changed over the last 178 years - OK a little less, I'm not sure when the *81 design originated.

P.S.
"• No lacquer means it’s not much to look at"

Given the overall condition of this instrument, an hour or so with some brass polish would cure this.

and:

"• Despite the new linkages, the valves are still somewhat clackety"

A bit of strategically applied 3-in-1 oil may (or may not) work wonders on that. I keep 2oz bottles full of light oil around with blunt hypodermic needle nozzles.

A graphic I made for someone who purchased an old Leningrad tuba from me for some hints:
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Sorry to disagree but while your idea that Amati and Lidl do not make rotary valve instruments may be true now, it may not have been true in 1970. That's fifty years ago.

I had direct correspondence with the "administrator" in charge of that manufacturing group in the 70s and was given the specific information that any one of the the three divisions might produce any of their products as needed.
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Amati = Cerveny, at least since after WW2. Just like VMI = B&S. This Kroner is a nice Amati/Cerveny stencil CC :tuba:
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I've owned Amati, it wasn't Cerveny quality.

Tom B.
bugler
bugler

Re: FS: Kroner CC Tuba $2,250

Post by Tom B. »

Bump
Tom B.
bugler
bugler

Re: FS: Kroner CC Tuba $2,250

Post by Tom B. »

Bump.