For Sale: Rudy Meinl 5/4 6-valve F tuba ($7,250 + 50% Ship)

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bftuba
lurker
lurker

For Sale: Rudy Meinl 5/4 6-valve F tuba ($7,250 + 50% Ship)

Post by bftuba »

Hi everyone,

I'd like to put out a feeler to see if anyone might be interested in buying my 6 valve Rudy F. It is a very great instrument, but there are a few other F tubas that I'd like to go after at the moment, especially given that I won't be seeing any ensemble playing or recital prep until the New Year (No trade offers though please).

I traded for the horn back in Nov/Dec 2019. I was told by the previous owner that the horn itself was made in the late(?) 80's but despite this, it has been kept in absolutely wonderful condition. Classic Germanic "stereotypical" sound that is common with Rudy Meinl's. Admittingly, because of the repertoire I was playing at the time and the eventual closing of my conservatory, the horn hasn't logged many hours in the orchestra setting, only a few readings of the Brahms Tragic Overture thinking back that far. Other than that, I've used it for a few solo pieces, orchestral audition preparation, and a tuba/horn trio.

As far as tuning tendencies are concerned, I push the 1st slide in for Eb above middle C, 4th space G/Gb. I don't use any alternate fingerings. Like many other rotary F's, the low C can be hit or miss, but I have found a Sellmansberger combo to work wonders in managing that, opening up the horn up, and making it so much easier in terms of response and evenness top to bottom. I can potentially send that mouthpiece with the horn.

I've never owned a 4+2 prior to this, but I'm told that the set-up is a bit strange. The set-up is 1234 on the right hand, and 65 on the left. The 65 on the left hand took a few days to get used to, but once you do, it becomes easy to manage.

I can go into even more detail for anyone interested, but while I get some pictures uploading, I would be looking for $7,250 plus 50% in shipping. I would ship via FedEx in a JW Winters hard case (a wheel is broken, but it will surely get the job done, and I would of course bubble wrap the inside). Shipping would depend on time of purchase. I've been in PA spending time with family, but will be returning to Montreal in a few days. Feel free to reach out with any questions. Thanks!

EDIT: Pictures at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by bftuba on Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 9 times in total.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: For Sale: Rudy Meinl 5/4 6-valve F tuba ($7,250 + 50% Sh

Post by tclements »

Boy, I'd love to give that baby a honk!
Julian
bugler
bugler

Post by Julian »

Hi Brandon
bftuba
lurker
lurker

Post by bftuba »

Julian wrote:Hi Brandon
Lol, hey man!
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Post by lowtones425 »

This looks to be a lovely horn at a steal of a price...

Rudy Fs are special, indeed.
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Man, look at that brazed bell seam. Real artistry went into this horn.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
francoislaplante
lurker
lurker

Post by francoislaplante »

Hi!

I live in Montreal, and I'm looking to buy a F tuba! Would love to speak with you about your horn!

Can you send me an email at francoislaplante at videotron.ca?

Thanks!

François