FS/FT: Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Andy Smith
bugler
bugler

FS/FT: Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb

Post by Andy Smith »

Looking to sell or trade my Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb.

I've owned this horn for about two years. The only reason I'm selling it is that I've had the opportunity to purchase another large rotary BBb and I don't need two sitting around the house!

This is a large 5/4 BBb with 4 rotary valves. If you're looking for a horn that can really shake the rafters, look no farther. This horn has that classic Rudy sound but is surprisingly efficient for such a large horn. The response is great. The valves have the ball and socket style linkages, but they are tight and I haven't any issues with noise in the time I've owned it. The valves are very very fast for such a large tuba. I was going to have the linkages converted to mini-balls, but after playing it for some time, there was no reason to. All the slides are free and move well.

There have been two slight modifications I have made to this horn. I added a thumb ring to the second valve slide (which moves very easily), and had the second valve vented. This has made a huge difference in the low range intonation on this horn.

Overall the pitch is good. The Ab at the bottom of the staff is low, but can be lipped in tune without much trouble. The Db in the staff needs to be played 2-3 (another plus for having the second valve ring!). Other than that, the pitch on the horn is very good.

There are a few dents and dings on this horn, evidence of some work on the bell, and some lacquer wear, but nothing more than cosmetic. I've tried to include all of the larger imperfections in the pictures.

I have used this horn in both the Grant Park Orchestra, and at Lyric Opera of Chicago for our ring cycle rehearsals to great effect!

I'm asking $6000 OBO for the horn plus an MTS hard case. I would possibly be interested in a trade for a 186 or other 4/4 CC tuba, or a B&S Symphonie if anyone has one they're looking to trade.

I'd really prefer not to ship, but I am happy to drive a couple of hours from Chicago.

Photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iEQDtVWJAveCcu2s5" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Cheers,
Andy Smith
Andy Smith
Lyric Opera of Chicago
Grant Park Orchestra
The University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
Andy Smith
bugler
bugler

Re: FS/FT: Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb

Post by Andy Smith »

Bump