Boston Symphony History

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bydloman
bugler
bugler

Boston Symphony History

Post by bydloman »

Kilton tubas #3.jpg
I have decided to sell the three F tubas I acquired from the former principal tubist of the Boston Symphony, Kilton Vinal Smith. I am selling all of these as a package for $12,000 or $11,250 if the buyer will pick them up upon purchase. I am located in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Pictured from left to right:
Kruspe, 5 valve. This was Mr. Smith's main instrument until his retirement in 1965. I have used this tuba on auditions and in performance.
Alexander, 4 valve. Beautiful sound with the typical Alexander intonation issues.
C.F. Schmidt, 4 valve. This tuba has no identifiable markings, but I have been told by several professionals that based on the main tuning slide and bell configuration, it was indeed made by the Schmidt company.
Please send me a p.m. if interested.

Gary Ofenloch
Principal tuba (retired) Utah Symphony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bydloman on Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Boston Symphony History

Post by Ace »

Gary, who is playing at Utah now? You were great when you had the chair.

Ace
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Ace wrote:Gary, who is playing at Utah now? You were great when you had the chair.

Ace
The position is currently listed as vacant on their website. Before the lock down, I believe that Derek Fenstermacher had been invited to do some concerts.
Andy
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Gary, is this one of the compensating Alex F tubas?

:tuba:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
bydloman
bugler
bugler

Post by bydloman »

No, the Alex does not have a compensating valve setup. I'm not sure when any of these horns were made, but I'm guessing somewhere between 1915 and 1925. If anyone has a better idea based on these pictures, I would be interested to know!
bydloman
bugler
bugler

Post by bydloman »

These instruments have been sold.

Gary Ofenloch