MW Bill Bell FS - SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
cbettler
bugler
bugler

MW Bill Bell FS - SOLD

Post by cbettler »

Hello everyone!

FS is my MW Bill Bell CC tuba. I have owned this tuba for five years. In that time it has been used fairly infrequently, mostly for the occasional church gig. However I have kept it in solid playing condition. Horn comes with an MTS hard case. Reason for selling: having recently moved back to the CONUS from Hawaii, I have taken possession of a new CC tuba for which I saved during the past few years, and I have no need for both CCs.

Pros: VERY nice sound; blows easily; valves are smooth; classic beautiful German construction

Cons: Low register below low F is a little stuffy; intonation is typical of older vintage tuba, but very manageable

Other: I have found this horn to be particularly mouthpiece sensitive. For the first three years of ownership I was a little disappointed in the horn overall. Then I attended a mouthpiece showcase with Ivan Giddings. After trying several mouthpieces, I plugged in the Diablo and WOW what a difference. The intonation quirks started to disappear, the brilliance in the sound intensified, and best of all the low range opened up like crazy! Had I intended to keep this tuba, I would have bought a Diablo on the spot. From what I recall , the Diablo is a helleberg style mouthpiece, so this seems like the way to go.
Last edited by cbettler on Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Bettler
Tuba Instrumentalist, US Navy Music Program
cbettler
bugler
bugler

Re: MW Bill Bell FS $2500

Post by cbettler »

Bump
Chris Bettler
cbettler
bugler
bugler

Post by cbettler »

Bump, still for sale.
Chris Bettler
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

Seems like a good deal for a German-made five-valve CC tuba, even with the noted pros/cons.

I recently acquired a Getzen era M-W 25, which also has a wonderful overall sound with beautiful quality construction.

Bump.
cbettler
bugler
bugler

Post by cbettler »

Bump
Chris Bettler
Matthew Gaunt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Matthew Gaunt »

Bump for Chris!

I played his horn a bit. Someone is going to get a great horn for very little money. Fantastic sound and response. Very manageable pitch. Great valves and slides. Solid horn. Don't let the bore size fool you - can really put out some sound.

If you are thinking of trying this horn please do!
Faculty
Bienen School of Music at Northwestern University
Northern Illinois University
Wheaton College
https://www.music.northwestern.edu/facu ... thew-gaunt
cbettler
bugler
bugler

Post by cbettler »

Bump. I have had several requests for videos demonstrating his tuba. I have added a few videos to the Google Drive folder shared in the original ad. These are just demos, not polished performances. Please let me know if you have trouble accessing the Google Drive link. Thank you for all the interest!

Chris Bettler
Chris Bettler
cbettler
bugler
bugler

Post by cbettler »

Bump.
Chris Bettler
cbettler
bugler
bugler

Post by cbettler »

This tuba has been sold. Thank you for all inquiries!
Chris Bettler