*Sold*

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
nic.merle@tuba
bugler
bugler

*Sold*

Post by nic.merle@tuba »

Hello Everyone,

I am putting my Neptune VMI 5198 up for sale because I am wanting to try something different for CC tuba. I have had a lot of praise for the beauty of this instrument as it has that typical Neptune tone. This is a very agile horn for the size, and the upper range is not as much of a "guess" as I have seen from other 6/4 c tubas. I performed the Gregson concerto with this tuba earlier this year and many of the older gentlemen from the group commented on the quality of tone from this horn. I have greatly enjoyed playing it during college.

I purchased this horn summer of 2018 and used it for various ensembles at university as well as many community groups (playing this horn in Benaroya hall is a memory I will keep forever). The only major tuning quirks are the G at the bottom of the staff and the D in the staff. The G is sharp but lipping it in tune hasn't been an issue for me, and the D needs to be pushed in with first.

Tuba has some good laquer wear, and quite a few scratches and some minor dents. Was pro cleaned last week so it's nice and fresh!
There have been a few modifications done to the horn, all of which we before I owned it.
-Water keys were removed (I still have them and will be included)
-PVAK system installed
-leadpipe replaced with a raw brass PT6p leadpipe
-Valves 1-4 are vented

I removed the thumb ring because I like to have my hand be more free when I play, but that will be included with purchase and is easy to reinstall.
Also included is the Alteri gig bag I bought the horn with (pictured) which I did some reinforcing to the string section at the top. The bag is in great condition!

I am asking $6,000 for the horn, the Alteri gig bag and the spare parts (water keys and thumb ring). Price Negotiable.
The horn is located in North Idaho but can be Seattle area easily, shipping can be discussed.
PM me through TubeNet or email me at nicmerle.tuba@gmail.com

Thank you very much! :tuba:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... c9seDGwyhi
Last edited by nic.merle@tuba on Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:18 am, edited 8 times in total.
Graduate TA at University of Idaho
nic.merle@tuba
bugler
bugler

Re: FS: 5198 VMI Neptune

Post by nic.merle@tuba »

Bump
nic.merle@tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by nic.merle@tuba »

Bump for Price Drop
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

It's interesting that the bell has the engraved Neptune on it. I had thought the "Neptune" was reserved for the rotary valve version, and that the piston valved version was called a PT-7. Therefore, I'm wondering if there's a real, tangible difference between a piston Neptune and a PT-7 (?). I briefly owned a PT-7 before switching to a rotary Neptune. Either way, someone will get one heck of a tuba for that price.
nic.merle@tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by nic.merle@tuba »

From what I have been told, this horn has a 20.5" bell and a slightly larger bottom bow when compared to a PT-7p. So, they are very very similar but it's just a slightly larger flare at the end of the bugle on the piston Neptunes.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Thank you. In the words of the great Johnnie Carson, "that, I did not know".
nic.merle@tuba
bugler
bugler

Re: FS or Trade: 5198 VMI Neptune $7,000

Post by nic.merle@tuba »

Bump for Trade Update
nic.merle@tuba
bugler
bugler

Re: FS or Trade: 5198 VMI Neptune $6,500

Post by nic.merle@tuba »