FS: Tommy Johnson’s Neptune $7950

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
JTubesMora
bugler
bugler

FS: Tommy Johnson’s Neptune $7950

Post by JTubesMora »

Up for sale is Tommy Johnson’s Neptune. He played this instrument on film scores in the late 90’s and early 00’s. This horn was also owned by John Van Houten and used on countless film scores including The Incredibles! This horn has a HUGE sound. Tommy described it as a 188 on steroids. Ive never played a tuba with a better low register. It’s got a warm round tone that really fills up a hall but can bark when pushed. It’s a great player as well as collector’s item. You can see and hear John Van Houten playing this tuba next to Tommy Johnson at the 4:12 mark. https://youtu.be/zA1XcaQI5eU

There has been a lot of work done on this tuba due to repairs and mods. The bottom bracings were replaced with lighter-weight King sousaphone bracings. A lot of the bracings were replaced to take “unnecessary weight” off the tuba. The bottom bow and 4th valve tubing were damaged at some point and repaired to 100% functionality. The horn was also overhauled in 2018 when I bought it. This horn is raw brass. In the last photo you’ll see how it looks after a clean and polish. There are small dings and blemishes from 2 decades of heavy daily use.

Included are both 1 step and 2 step 5th valve slides. Tuba comes with a Tan and Black Cronkite bag. I’m located in Los Angeles, CA. I would prefer local pickup but I’m willing to ship at buyers expense.

PRICE: $7950
If interested you can reach me at my email: josephmora822@gmail.com

Pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/YecdA1L
VMI Neptune CC
Yamaha 822s F
B&S Symphonie F
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: FS: Tommy Johnson’s Neptune $7950

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I would love to buy that Cronkhite bag for my Neptune! I have an ultra heavy Reunion Blues leather bag for mine.

Any sense as to what lead-pipe Tommy liked on his? Mine came with two pipes, and it definitely plays better with the larger of the two. These Neptunes are actually quite versatile, as long as you're not playing in a 'boomy' church. They're great for playing in 'bass dead' halls and outdoors. I've never tried it in a really big hall.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Oh Man I'd love to come by and play a few notes on it before you sell it..jeez, what a beast!
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tubaing »

I remember in 2006, when I was a freshman in high school, I went to the Woodwind & Brasswind to try out tubas (specifically, I came to buy a VMI 3302 BBb. They had some 15-20 tubas for me to try out and among them was the notary Neptune. I really liked that 3302 (which I got- and is currently for sale by a subsequent owner), but I couldn't believe how amazing the Neptune was. I was very impressed by it... I'd love to play one again.
Kevin Specht
Keep on Tubaing
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

Tommy let me borrow this for a few weeks back then and I really liked it. We did some tests at his house with this very Neptune against my Yorkbrunner, and he said he liked how I sounded on the Neptune better. It was a very nice instrument.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
JTubesMora
bugler
bugler

Post by JTubesMora »

barry grrr-ero wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:14 pm I would love to buy that Cronkhite bag for my Neptune! I have an ultra heavy Reunion Blues leather bag for mine.

Any sense as to what lead-pipe Tommy liked on his? Mine came with two pipes, and it definitely plays better with the larger of the two. These Neptunes are actually quite versatile, as long as you're not playing in a 'boomy' church. They're great for playing in 'bass dead' halls and outdoors. I've never tried it in a really big hall.
Tommy and JVH used the euro shank leadpipe with the smaller bore exclusively. The big pipe was destroyed in a move before I picked up the horn. It plays great with the small one IMO!
VMI Neptune CC
Yamaha 822s F
B&S Symphonie F
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Thanks for that info. Both my tech (also a tuba player) and I feel that my particular Neptune plays better with the bigger pipe. Oh well.
JTubesMora
bugler
bugler

Post by JTubesMora »

Horn is still available!
VMI Neptune CC
Yamaha 822s F
B&S Symphonie F
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

It looks like Tommy's Neptune has the 2nd valve tuning throw-arm to the side. Mine has that too and it's really handy for tuning lots of different fingering combinations.

Not that you want to hear about my Neptune, but I discovered that my smaller leadpipe had a crimp in it - like a garden hose crimp. I sent it out to Joe Sellmansberger to get it straightened out. Now I can't wait to try it with the smaller pipe. I think that crimp was the culprit.

I've had a lot of fun with my Neptune.
ShaTuba
lurker
lurker

Post by ShaTuba »

Still for sale? I want to buy this horn ASAP

dasheddegree9@gmail.com