SOLD: Wessex Chicago Presence 6/4 CC

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
rkirkconnell
lurker
lurker

SOLD: Wessex Chicago Presence 6/4 CC

Post by rkirkconnell »

I am putting up for sale my Chicago Presence CC. I bought this tuba about a year and a half ago so that I could get serious about auditioning, and I used it to audition into the Army Regional Bands. I'm selling it simply because I'm happier on rotors, and also I realized that I'll be better served in my new job with something a bit smaller.

Most everything I can say about this horn has probably already been said by someone else who carries much more credibility. This is a handmade, quality instrument with thin brass (read: light for its size), easy intonation, great response across all registers, and thanks to the 18" bell, very good projection and clarity.

That 18" bell is this instrument's primary point of distinction compared to other 6/4 contrabass tubas. If you're really looking just to make the most massive sound possible, perhaps you'll want to look for a more conventional 20" bell or bigger. However if you want a big, clear sound that really projects, or you want to squeeze into a smaller ensemble every once in a while, you'll have an easier time with this. When you put together the excellent clarity, price, and general playability, I really believe this is a great horn for anyone who's serious about graduate/professional auditions and in need of an upgrade or upsize. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions about how it plays, but right now all I can think to write is that it's simply "real nice."

My minor gripes (other than my prejudice for rotors):
1) Owing to excellent slide alignment and vented valves, the first valve slide can fall out from gravity when the horn is on its bell. It can be tough to find a happy medium of lubrication at which the slide moves smoothly for adjustments without running the risk of a "jailbreak."
2) Because of the way water collects in the 1st valve, gunk will eventually grow in the valve's vent, and I find I can't really pull the valve slide out without depressing the valve (if I do, it will make the vacuum suck/pop sound and probably make the 1st valve stick a little). Pushing in still works fine, though. So your choices are either to be very attentive to cleaning it out, or be satisfied with a "half-vented" valve.

You can check out the company page for the rest of the basic specs, and also if you scroll down, you'll find some videos of pros talking about it and playing it. https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/cc ... 5609906189

Pictures here - Along with having the horn chem cleaned, all the most noticeable dents (such as they were) have been taken out. There's a small bit of scarring left over (as there always is with that), but it was pretty hard to get it to show up in the pictures (count that as a tribute to Lee Stofer's work on it!). Check out the pictures here, and if there's something you need to see in more detail, contact me and I'll figure something out. PM for recordings.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Price is $8,000 OBO. I'm really hoping to move it along before I ship out in late June, so don't be shy about making an offer if this is the kind of tuba you're after.
Location until then is Milwaukee, WI. I am able to drive to meet halfway on a weekend, but I am not keen on shipping.

Horn is sold. Thanks to all who showed interest/support!
Last edited by rkirkconnell on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
B&S 56AFT
MW 5450RA "Tuono"
rkirkconnell
lurker
lurker

Re: FS: Wessex Chicago Presence 6/4 CC

Post by rkirkconnell »

BUMP for updated pictures after taking the horn in for servicing. It is now *very* clean, and the dents have been taken out.
B&S 56AFT
MW 5450RA "Tuono"
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

I have a prototype Presence. It's a GREAT horn. The lack of bell flare creates a sound that is more direct with more clarity than others in this breed but still retains the sound only a BAT can create. Plug in a smaller mouthpiece and you have yourself a horn than can pass for a large 4/4 or small 5/4 in a dark alley. Plug in a large mouthpiece and you can sound like the pedals of a pipe organ beneath an ensemble. I played one MW 5450 when they first came out that was the closest thing I've found to this horn, and haven't found a 5450 like it since.
Rob. Just Rob.
tubamarc8891
bugler
bugler

Post by tubamarc8891 »

As stated above, the Presence is a great instrument and the 18” bell makes it much more useful. Having owned a York copy with a 20” bell in the past, my Presence fits in more performance situations and is a lot more clear. Someone is going to get a great instrument!
U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own”
Wessex Chicago Presence CC
Eastman 866 F
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: SOLD: Wessex Chicago Presence 6/4 CC

Post by barry grrr-ero »

If I starting over again, the Wessex "C.P." would probably the first tuba I'd start with. But given all the concert band playing I've been doing in the last few years, the rotary "Neptune" has worked out pretty good. Still, . . .

Barry Guerrero