Alex 163CC FS/FT

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Andy Smith
bugler
bugler

Alex 163CC FS/FT

Post by Andy Smith »

Hi all,

I’m putting my Alex 163CC up for sale or for trade.

This horn belonged to Dennis Miller (Vancouver and Montreal Symphonies). I was told that this was the last horn he sold after he retired. The horn is 50+ years old, and has had a lot of work done over the years. The fifth valve was changed from left hand to right hand, the lead pipe and receiver were changed (pictured with an American shank Laskey for scale), there was some sort of main tuning slide trigger system which was taken off before I got the horn, and there has been a stop added to the first valve slide. The horn is mostly raw brass and is in surprisingly great shape for its age.

I’ve always heard about the “Alex sound”, and I can say that this horn really has an incredible sound. I’ve played it up against my Nirschl with a bass trombone player and was surprised to hear that the Alex was preferred. The sound is really huge for this size tuba, but it still has great clarity. The low range is amazing on this horn. You would never know the fifth valve wasn’t stock. I have no doubt this horn would be able to keep up in any ensemble that I’ve played with. The high range is also surprisingly nimble.

Because the lead pipe and receiver have been replaced, the pitch isn’t nearly as tricky as I had been led to believe it would be on an Alex. There are a few notes that need alternate fingerings such as 1-3 for g and d in the staff, but overall the pitch is very manageable.

As much as I like this horn, it’s just not the best for for my current needs. I would prefer to trade for a small CC (186, Eastman 832,etc.) or a piston F (yamaha 621 or similar). Asking price is $6000 obo. I’d be willing to kick in some extra $ for the right horn. Horn comes with a cordura Reunion Blues gig bag.

I’m located in the South suburbs of Chicago, but I would be wiling to drive a little ways to meet. Please PM or email me at Andy dot Lutz dot smith at gmail.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... hFmab8Wkc8

Cheers,
Andy Smith
Last edited by Andy Smith on Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Smith
Lyric Opera of Chicago
Grant Park Orchestra
The University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
Andy Smith
bugler
bugler

Re: Alex 163CC FS/FT

Post by Andy Smith »

Bump
Andy Smith
Lyric Opera of Chicago