Imperial Brass w/Phil Smith & Warren Vaché, NJ July 5 Bookmark and Share

performances, conferences, auditions, etc

Imperial Brass w/Phil Smith & Warren Vaché, NJ July 5

Postby hup_d_dup » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:52 am

Imperial Brass Returns to Ocean Grove on July 5th.
On Thursday, July 5th at 7:30 PM, Imperial Brass will be returning to the famous Great Auditorium at Ocean Grove. With guest artists Philip Smith, Gordon Turk, and Warren Vaché! Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for children and seniors, and are available now at https://www.oceangrove.org/summer-stars.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Imperial Brass w/Phil Smith & Warren Vaché, NJ July 5

Postby bloke » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:04 pm

odd story about Warren...

Back in the summer of 1984, I was with a jazz band (some stuff I recently linked on this site in the Media forum) involved in a do-it-yourself whirlwind tour of the UK and the Netherlands (timing it to coincide with the Edinburgh International Festival, the Fringe Festival, etc...selling l.p.'s, cassettes, and shirts off the bandstand to fund the trip). We played for a couple of days in Wales (during a couple of festival days there...some wonderful Welsh barbecue...) and bumped into Warren, who was similarly touring that summer. (We tangentially knew Warren, because our band was "friends" (from other jazz festivals) with the Cullum Jazz Band, and Warren's brother, Allan - clarinetist of renown, was in that band at that time. Warren was pretty "big stuff" just at that moment in time, as he had been involved in the production of a soon-to-be-released and expected-to-be-success movie, "Cotton Club" (Richard Gere...who actually played trumpet himself in some scenes...and his playing had been "coached back up to good enough from Richard's high school band days" by Warren - who did most of the trumpet playing on the soundtrack).
The really odd thing was this: Warren had JUST (very badly) cut his right hand in a washing-dishes accident, and was (sitting in with our band) playing his cornet by REACHING OVER THE BELL with his left and and playing with his left hand. He stuck with us for an entire set (outdoors...PERFECT overcast cool day...and barbecue...and cider...) and some of us ate with him afterward. (I did briefly, but then broke away, went shopping for deals, as the rate of exchange - at that time - was extraordinarily favorable, as shown below...Yes, I was picking up some premium Pringle cashmere sweaters - in fancy stores - for prices like $7.50 USD :shock: )

bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Return to Upcoming Events