Octubafest at the University of NE - Lincoln

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
Jeremy K.
bugler
bugler

Octubafest at the University of NE - Lincoln

Post by Jeremy K. »

Greetings Everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know about the Octubafest Concerts at the University of Nebraska Lincoln this year.

Monday, Octuba 25,
Westbrook Recital Hall
7:30 pm

UNL Tuba/Euphonium Ensemble (playing Tuba Musicale)
Several Solos (Air and Bourree, Fantasy for Tuba by Arnold, and others)
"The Conical Bore" (my tuba/euphonium quartet, playing the works of Gounod, King, Mehlan, and others)

Tuesday, Octuba 26
Westbrook Recital Hall
7:30 pm

Several Solos (Bagatelles for Tuba - Jacob, Aboriginal Voices, the Haddad Suite, some Marcello, and others)
UNL Tuba/Euphonium Ensemble (playing Blue Monk, O Sacred Head, and others)

All of us here in the studio at UNL study with Craig Fuller, who is the tubist with the Omaha Symphony, as well as teaching here. It should be a good time! I hope some fellow Tubenetters can make it!

Jeremy Knudtson
Graduate Asst. - Tuba
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Jeremy Knudtson

"Well broccoli, mother says you're good for me, but I'm no good for you!!!"
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

Dadgummit! I'll be next door in Westbrook at the Lincoln Community Concert Band rehearsal from 7 to 9. That's an event I really hate to miss, Jeremy. :( Maybe I can sneak a listen during our break.

Jerry
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Will Tommy Lee make a surprise appearance?

:wink:
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

I dunno, but I doubt it. I had my field glasses on him during the halftime show last Saturday, and he looked like he was right at home. He quickly shed his cap after the show, and I could see that he had worked up a fine sweat playing around out there with the boys half his age. He didn't just go through the motions but appeared to give it great effort.

He was easy to find because he always had at least one and sometimes two red-clad TV crews with their cameras trained on him. I suspect his appearance at Octubafest would be a total distraction because of this entourage.

Jerry
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Yeah, it would be a distraction.

I've read that he's really giving it a shot, studying on his own time and everything. I also don't agree that the show would be tarnishing the school's reputation; he is, after all, being portrayed as "a fish out of water", and if that means that he's supposed to be surrounded by students who are more wholesome than he is (in most cases, anyway!), then NU's reputation as a "nice" school is being upheld.

I should ask my parents what they think, too. I wonder if Lee was on the field for the band alumni game. They were out there marching, after all.
Jeremy K.
bugler
bugler

Post by Jeremy K. »

Actually, if anyone asks, there is a rumor that he is going to sit in with "The Conical Bore" for a couple of our tunes... Hey, whatever helps with publicity right?? :mrgreen:

Jeremy
Jeremy Knudtson

"Well broccoli, mother says you're good for me, but I'm no good for you!!!"