Waco TubaChristmas

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
EuphDad
bugler
bugler

Waco Tuba Christmas

Post by EuphDad »

I have two sons who play the euphonium. They've been
going to the Dallas Tuba Christmas since they first started playing their horns in the 6th grade with just 6 months of band instruction. This Christmas eve noon will be our 9th consecutive Tuba Christmas at Thanksgiving Square in Dallas. It has become a family tradition.

What's especially neat about Tuba Christmas is seeing all the players - both young and old from 10 to 80+. With upwards of 180 horns I bet the wrong notes aren't only from those with less than two years experience. The young ones are probably too timid and playing too softly, or not playing to make a difference.

But what a great experience for the kids to participate in a tradition that's so connected with their instrument. It's a special moment for the players and the audience and it would be a shame to restrict their participation. What's next - Tuba Christmas auditions?

Seasoned Greetings Y'all.
The Impaler
3 valves
3 valves

Post by The Impaler »

I know exactly where Dave is coming from on this one. I once did a tubachristmas where there were about 40 participants, 12 or so euphs, and 30 or so tubas. Of the euphs (of which I was one) there were 4 students and 6 or so band directors plus me. No problem, except that it seems every band director who doesn't play euphonium thinks they can. However, of the mass of tubas, only one, a college friend of mine, could play. Bit problem. The concert was not a disaster, but was definitely a negative experience for me. I understand that young students need to get involved with this, but most jr. high students are not going to be able to rehearse the TC book for two hours and then get half of the notes right. The concert was basically low mush with a euphonium melody on top. I haven't done that particular TC since (it was almost ten years ago) and instead have done quartets in malls, university students centers, B&N cafes, etc. Much, much more pleasing musical experience for me and for the listeners. Plus, doing it in a quartet fashion allows for some much more intimate venues instead of just one large concert. I'm not against anything here, just expressing my opinion through past experiences. I think as long as the music gets out, and the instruments are exposed, it's successful.
Cale Self

Assistant Professor of Music
Acting Director of Bands & Instructor of Low Brass
University of West Georgia
Carrollton, GA
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

I dunno. We've had some great TubaCarolConcerts (we don't have "official" TC here and use different charts; we're on TCC XXVII or so).

Some years, the assembled mob is great; others, it's sup-par. Basically, these are the same people year after year with the same director. Who knows why?

However, one thing that always seems to hold true is that there's virtually no one who wants to play the 3rd part. Folks get brave before rehearsal and ask for the part, then exchange it for the 4th part afterwards. Inevitably, it's maybe 3 tubas and about 5 euphoniums that wind up playing it. Must be those top-of-the-staff B flats.

I wasn't aware that TC (or whatever the local variation is called) is primarily an affair for the audience. I thought it was a chance for some players to get together and play for whoever wanted to listen.

OTOH, I think an Ives-like chart for TC along the lines of "Three Places" but involving Christmas carols might be a lot of fun.
:)