Exhibit about John Kuhn and the Riverside Indian School

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Exhibit about John Kuhn and the Riverside Indian School

Post by bisontuba »

From Don Harry, member Delaware Nation, Anadarko, OK / Buffalo Philharmonic / Eastman School of Music Tuba Assoc. Professor

453 Porter Avenue
Buffalo, New York, 14201
Near Kleinhans Music Hall

Opening October 18, 2011 7:00PM - 9:00
Instrument Demonstration October 29 at 11:00 AM
Karpelis Manuscript Museum on Porter near Kleinhans Music Hall

The exhibit Don is putting together is called, Tribalism and Tradition through the Federal Indian Boarding schools
is going to feature his collection of rare horns including a Holton Chief Sousaphone used by John Kuhn who played with John Phillips Sousa band, the Isham Jones Jazz Orchestra and was a member of the Assiniboine Tribe of Montana. Don will also talk of his experiences as a teacher at the Riverside Indian School and what it means to him now. We need help getting word out for the opening which will be Oct. 18 and sponsorships to assist with costs. The exhibit will be up till Nov. 30 and there will be a horn demonstration on Oct. 29- including the sousaphone.

visit: netobuffalo.org

also: delawarenation.com
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Exhibit about John Kuhn and the Riverside Indian School

Post by bisontuba »

Bump..
Mark
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
A very nice opening night of the exhibit Don put together on John Kuhn, antique brass instruments, and his experiences teaching at the Indian School. Also included some playing examples. If you are passing through town, it is worth stopping by at the museum to see the display.

mark
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Gongadin »

I'm definitely going to go on the 29th so that I can hear him play that sousaphone!
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

It's worth a trip!
Mark
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bump for this Saturday morning's horn demo-11AM....
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Gongadin »

What a great way to spend a Saturday morning that turned out to be! I got to put some faces to the tuba list member names and was "in the company of a bunch of like-minded individuals" (as Dave Pearson put it). I'm so glad I made the trip. Karpeles Manuscript Library is in an old church with a massive pipe organ, beautiful historic aesthetics, and acoustics that lend themselves beautifully to the dulcet tones of the tuba. :)
It was wonderful to see all of the information that has been researched and collected about John Kuhn, including an array of vintage photographs I had never seen before.
As always, it was an absolute delight to hear Don Harry play (especially The Chief sousaphone) and Mark was no slouch either!
I encourage anyone within a reasonable driving distance of Buffalo NY to check out the John Kuhn exhibit. I believe the exhibit is on display until November 30th.
Luckbealady
lurker
lurker

Post by Luckbealady »

Hello! John Kuhn was my father's great, great uncle. I am very interested in getting contact info for anyone that was involved in this exhibit. Please let me know if you have any info, pictures, articles about him. It would mean the world to me. I have an article about him from Great Falls (MT) Tribune, circa 1938. I was unable to share, said the file was too big.
Thank you so much!
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Gongadin »

I think I shot some video- pretty sure I did. I know I have photos of some of the tuba players wearing your great, great, great uncle’s sousaphone. Contact me and we’ll see what can be done to get you some material.