Tuba concerto- world premiere

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
Forest Philharmonic
lurker
lurker

Tuba concerto- world premiere

Post by Forest Philharmonic »

Hello everybody!
As tuba enthusiasts, I thought you may be interested in the following concert and could share with anybody that could also be interested: the world premiere of Bourgeois' second tuba concerto played by David Carter and Forest Philharmonic Orchestra:

Sunday 26 April 2015 6.30pm
Walthamstow Assembly Hall

ELGAR Cockaigne Overture
BOURGEOIS Tuba Concerto
HOLST The Planets

Mark Shanahan conductor
David Carter tuba
Deutscher Chor London

David Carter has been playing the tuba in Forest Philharmonic for many years, and it seemed appropriate in our 50th anniversary season to feature such a long-standing member of the orchestra. A tuba concerto has to be worth seeing, and this one has been written especially for David and Forest Philharmonic.

Many thanks!
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Tuba concerto- world premiere

Post by PMeuph »

I usually look at the events section and dismiss everything as it's too far. As luck would have it, I'm in London this week and I was able to attend this concert!

For those intersted, the Bourgeois is a neat piece. I think it will make a nice addition to the concerto library, especially as a piece accompanied by large ensemble. ( the writing sounds like it will be fairly straightforward to adapt for band and the parts will be manageable for a community group)

The playing tonight was excellant, I enjoyed the tuba concerto but what really impressed me, was The Planets... I've heard it live before, but tonight the orchestra really nailed it!
---
To the OP: keep postng if you have any interesting concerts.

To anyone visiting London: if you have the time and a concert by this orchestra, do it. Admission was cheap, and they are the best community group I've ever heard. They were worth the one hour tube ride to get there.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb