Vaughann Williams Concerto

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
Doug@GT
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Doug@GT »

Hands down....BEST concert yet for this season...and that's saying a lot following Lang Lang and Hilary Hahn. Mr. Moore handled the concerto effortlessly. Overheard from high school kid after the concert: "I'm not worthy....I'm not worthy....." Good times.

A real treat for me Friday was the VW London Symphony. I'd never heard that one before. Went out and bought a recording tonight. It's going on my list of all time favorites.

Question for other TubeNetters who went to the concert Friday--there was at least one large group of what looked like high school students in the first few rows. They came on charter buses. Anyone know the story there? A Band trip or something? Thanks.

Doug 'noting that his favorite performaces featured soloists with double initials: LL, HH, MM"
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged."
~G.K. Chesterton
Doug@GT
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Doug@GT »

The AJC finally got around to a review of the concert:
[quote]
By Pierre Ruhe | Sunday, April 17, 2005, 02:04 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Concert Review

...On Saturday, I attended the ASO in Symphony Hall, and evening of highlights. I typically hear the orchestra on Thursdays, the first stand of three shows, and the playing often isn’t ideally polished, or the interpretation sounds under construction.

Not so this past Saturday. Music director Robert Spano began with Haydn’s Symphony No. 104 in a lovely reading, energetically delivered. Still, Spano’s take with Haydn — unlike the way he conducts most composers — isn’t very personal. It sounded generic and middle of the road, like he hadn’t yet developed his own strong ideas.

Vaughan Williams’ Concerto for Bass Tuba is a serious, engaging work for an instrument that rarely receives star treatment — “Tubby the Tubaâ€
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged."
~G.K. Chesterton