Saint-Saens Symphony #1? Bookmark and Share

performances, conferences, auditions, etc

Saint-Saens Symphony #1?

Postby bydloman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:29 pm

This next season the Utah Symphony is performing Saint-Saens Symphony #1. The piece calls for one Bass Saxhorn in Bb and one Contrabass Saxhorn in Eb. Both parts are in treble clef. Has anyone performed this symphony? If so, what instruments did you use?
Thanks in advance!

Gary Ofenloch
Principal tuba, Utah Symphony
bydloman
bugler
bugler

Re: Saint-Saens Symphony #1?

Postby bisontuba » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:03 am

Hi Gary-
I would think this is like Berlioz meets Strauss. A Bass Saxhorn in Bb would be a Baritone/Euph/Tenor Tuba, and a Contrabass saxhorn in Eb would be an Eb/F tuba..in the 19th C, many considered the Eb Tuba to be a contrabass tuba...unlike Bruckner, where you have Contrabass and Bass Tuba being BBb (CC) and F ...today, we call the Contrabass CC / BBb, but back then, esp., in Treble Clef (ala British Band Parts), it would have been an Eb Tuba, IMHO.
So long story short, I would think(?) Tenor Tuba and Bass Tuba...Bb Euph and F Tuba...for a 21C performance in the U.S.

Mark

PS.. Looks like a huge piece too...

http://artsfuse.org/134857/rethinking-t ... flat-op-2/
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Saint-Saens Symphony #1?

Postby the elephant » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:33 pm

We used a euphonium and a 186 because that seemed to fit best. I started on an Eb but changed for the second rehearsal. Conductor preferred it.
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Return to Upcoming Events