Schifrin Concerto, master class, Pokorny Seminar

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
Northern
pro musician
pro musician

Schifrin Concerto, master class, Pokorny Seminar

Post by Northern »

Hello Troops,
Sorry for the generic email blast to friends, colleagues, tuba players, tuba teachers and others who may give the illusion of caring about the tuba. I want to tell you of two events this next weekend which I have the privilege of doing in Southern California. As the email list above is very incomplete, please forward along to any who may find interest. Thank you.

Iconic movie composer Lalo Schifrin (“Mission Impossible”, “Cool Hand Luke”, “Dirty Harry”, “Bullit”, etc.) has recently written a tuba concerto of which I will have the privilege of premiering in Redlands on Saturday, March 3 at 8 PM with the Redlands Symphony Orchestra. It will take place in the Memorial Chapel at the University of Redlands. Lalo Schifrin will be there.
https://www.redlandssymphony.com/concer ... e-mar-2018" target="_blank" target="_blank

On Sunday, March 4, from 12 noon until 2 PM, I will give a free master class at University Hall on campus at the University of Redlands. This will be for the benefit of musicians of all ages trying to further learn about the instrument and also for those who are preparing for several of the upcoming tuba auditions in various positions around the country. Part of the time will also be spent showing some of the preparations taken for learning Lalo Schifrin’s “Tuba Concerto” as well as Jennifer Higdon’s “Low Brass Concerto” which the Chicago Symphony premiered at Carnegie Hall. For those players who want to perform in the master class, please bring your instruments and your music. Besides etudes, we will probably select music from the following orchestral test pieces:

*Vaughan Williams (mvt. 1; mvt. 2: #1 to 3 mm before #3; 2 mm before #4 to #5)
*Berlioz : Hungarian March (#4 to 2 mm after #5)
*Gershwin : American in Paris (#67)
*Mahler : Symphony 5 (mvt. 2: 10 mm before #20 to 1 m before #20; mvt. 3: 13 before mm #16 to
#17)
*Prokofiev : Symphony 5 (mvt. 1: 3 mm before #2 to 3 mm after #2; #3 to #6; 1 m before #23 to
#24; mvt 3: #64 to #66)

*Revueltas : Sensemaya (#2 to #11)

*Wagner : Meistersinger: (mm 112;
solo)
*Wagner : Ride of the Valkyries

Also, a reminder to trombone and tuba players: The Pokorny Seminar this year takes place at the University of Redlands earlier, from June 18 – 23. I am pleased to be joined by the newly appointed principal tuba of the Cincinnati Symphony, Chris Olka. http://www.redlands.edu/study/schools-a ... s-seminar/" target="_blank" target="_blank .

Cheers,

Gene