MTEC - Low Brass Conference

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
emkelsick
bugler
bugler

MTEC - Low Brass Conference

Post by emkelsick »

Every year, Eastern Illinois University hosts MTEC, the Midwest Trombone, Tuba, Euphonium Conference. It is an intense weekend (this year from November 2-4) of recitals, lectures, masterclasses and more!

We also bring in guest artists every year. This year, our guest artists are: Tim Myers, Principal Trombone of the St. Louis Symphony, and Beth Wiese, former Principal Tuba for the New World Symphony and current Professor of Tuba/Euphonium at Appalachian State University. They will be performing one piece each on Friday night and Sunday afternoon, and they will be performing a joint guest artist recital on Saturday night. Lots of great music to be heard! They will of course be giving masterclasses on Saturday as well.

There are many great things happening at this conference:

- Free t-shirts!
- Specific breaks in the schedule for exhibit hours
- As of today, our exhibitors this year are Yamaha and Music Shoppe
- An excerpt reading session with students and faculty
- PROfessor's Choir (This is an ensemble of faculty and other freelance professional low brass players. If you have repertoire requests, please let me know!)
- Emerging performers ensemble (Every year, faculty bring their students along. Faculty can also nominate students to be part of this ensemble. Again, if you have repertoire requests, please let me know!)
- Lectures, masterclasses, and warm-up sessions run by collegiate faculty and guest artists
- Recitals abound!

Our MTEC webpage has information including a tentative schedule, information about our guest artists, and more.

https://www.eiu.edu/music/events_mtec.php" target="_blank" target="_blank

The registration is available on our MTEC page now, and our concert office has asked that we set a deadline of October 1st for registration.

Registration will be open all the way until you walk in the door (we will have laptops available for registration on site just in case), but beginning on October 1st, our concert office will be selling seats to the Saturday night guest artist recital. I don't anticipate a full-house, especially because we will be using our large hall, but it is still best to register by October 1st to guarantee yourself a seat. Additionally, I will be ordering t-shirts on October 1st, and you don't want to miss out on that!

The prices are very competitive for a conference of this nature. Weekend registration is $50 (for students and faculty), and Saturday only registration is $40.

Please PM me or email me (emkelsick (at) eiu (dot) edu) if you have any questions! Thanks!
Dr. Evan Kelsick
Instructor of Tuba/Euphonium - Eastern Illinois University
DMA - Eastman School of Music | MM - Northwestern University | BM (Education) - University of Houston | evankelsick.com