Brass Choir Concert in Spartanburg, SC this Sunday

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Brass Choir Concert in Spartanburg, SC this Sunday

Post by mikebmiller »

If anyone in the Upstate SC area is looking for something to do this Sunday, we have a brass choir concert at Converse College at 3 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/events/668067203692124/

We are playing the Ewazen Symphony in Brass, some Gabrieli, and a bunch more stuff. We have 2 very fine tubists in the group. Both are band directors in the area and they can play the snot out of the tuber. I will be on euph and trombone, including my first ever public appearance on alto. That alone is worth the price of admission (which is $0). We will even give you a free brownie and coke after the show.
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Re: Brass Choir Concert in Spartanburg, SC this Sunday

Post by mikebmiller »

Well, a sellout crowd of about 30 people packed the place for our concert yesterday. I guess it is hard to compete with watching the Panthers get stomped.

You can see a few videos from the show here.

https://www.facebook.com/UpstateBrassProject/

We just started this group last fall and this is only our second concert, with about a 50% personnel turnover since the first. Forgive the crappy video. I aimed my camera a bit too far to the right and cut out part of the trumpet section, but did get a good view of the low brass.

Any constructive comments are welcome. I am pretty new at this whole running a brass choir thing and would love any advice on how to grow our audiences and improve performances. We have a group that is about 70% professional teachers and players and the rest pretty good amateurs like me.
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Post by mikebmiller »

bloke wrote:8)

good sounds !

' haven't enjoyed the privilege of playing in a brass choir (plenty of quintets...) for over four decades...other than (sure: Copland Fanfare, and a few other open-up-orchestra-concerts fanfares).
Thanks Bloke! I have run a quintet for years and we have kind of gotten into a rut of playing the same tunes at the same gigs for a while. I really like the sound of a large brass group. I would like to get a brass band going, but a brass choir is easier to put together and nobody has to go out and buy alto horns or read in treble clef.
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Post by mikebmiller »

A friend of mine set up 3 cameras and did a really nice edit on Finlandia.

https://www.facebook.com/UpstateBrassPr ... 103851393/" target="_blank" target="_blank

I am the third trombone in this particular piece. The tuba is Christian Kiser. He is a local band teacher and plays the crap out of the tuba.