No more...

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

No more...

Post by bort »

...fake-*** advertisements in the "For Sale" section. :roll:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: No more...

Post by bort »

Missouri wrote:This makes me wonder how you set the price of a used horn. If you buy a new car, the second you drive it off the lot it loses value and continues to lose value. It appears many of these tubas for sale are not much cheaper than buying a new horn, and some even have dents and scratches and have been used. What factors determine the price? I notice some big Thor thing got sold within hours, I guess it was a steal of a deal.
Here are some factors that contribute to price (both the price that sellers *ask*, and the price that buyers are willing to *pay*):

-- Convenience: no lead time, no waiting for shipments, tuba is instantly available to you
-- No taxes! (For me, buying a $10,000 tuba used would save me about $900 in taxes)
-- Price increases: even if the used price is only a little less than the new price, the new prices are only going up.

Cars lose value quickly because 1) the technology becomes outdated and 2) they deteriorate quickly. If you buy a 30-year old Miraphone 186 now, it's not very different from a new one (maybe even better), and will easily last another 30 years. Try that with a car!
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

Another thread gone to the cornfield.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

I hate the used car/used tuba comparison.
A well used, well maintained 15 year old car - even if well taken care of - has had a lot if its regular (yes, regular - anything can be restored/rebuilt infinitely) lifespan exhausted. Technology has also considerably moved on in many different areas that would also affect the price.
A well used, well maintained 15 year old tuba can be as good as new with a few hundred in chem cleaning/minor dent work/new felts&corks. Tuba technology is largely unchanged, and new tech such as synthetic felts and lightweight buttons can be easily incorporated.
I play a WWI vintage tuba (with a valve transplant) every day. How many people use a WWI era car, even with an engine swap, for a daily driver?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Marty has a good point. I played in a combined community band concert/tribute to a deceased college director some years ago that the gentleman beside me had, if memory serves, an 1890's rotary, which I believe was a Zimmerman. Yes, a Zimmerman with a Bach 18 mouthpiece. Great tone, great intonation, etc.

Barring physical damage or red rot, there is nothing new in the tuba world except tweaks and re-combinations of known quantities, and a tuba should last a couple of centuries at least, with not much more than valve rebuilds.

I don't see why this is surprising, considering the violin family was basically perfected in the 16th century, with the modifications of longer neck, etc., coming in the centuries that followed, much the same as bores having widened in some brass instruments in the last century.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

iiipopes wrote:Marty has a good point. I played in a combined community band concert/tribute to a deceased college director some years ago that the gentleman beside me had, if memory serves, an 1890's rotary, which I believe was a Zimmerman. Yes, a Zimmerman with a Bach 18 mouthpiece. Great tone, great intonation, etc.
bloke wrote:Is this still available?
I believe the Zimmerman is in hiding.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

bloke wrote:PayPal ok...??
NO !!!! Used, unmarked notes, in small denominations ONLY.
Free to tuba: good home