Please do not waste my time!

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
sidgarwood
lurker
lurker

Please do not waste my time!

Post by sidgarwood »

One big problem I have found with using Tubenet as a means to buy and sell horns is dealing with people who have no clue as to how to do a deal. I have been dealing with a young man who has his Miraphone for sale. On two occasions I have tried to buy the horn which is listed for sale. His location is within driving distance. On both attempts to buy the horn he at 11th hour has reversed his plan and claims he can not sell the horn because he has no replacement and/or he has a gig. It is unfortunate that some of our young folks did not sign up for the class that teaches the most basic elements of good deal making.....doing what you say your are going to do, price negotiation, timely communication and integrity. In this case I met the buyers terms in full and he still failed to perform. Yes, I am older, but I was taught to treat people fairly and do what I say. This young man will have to learn the hard way about how to deal. This is part of life and without those skills there will be trouble ahead.
Sid Garwood
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Please do not waste my time!

Post by bort »

That's certainly annoying, and no way to do business... which is really what this is, a business transaction. No one would ever go to a store and have this happen, so a seller of an instrument should have the responsibility to be committed in the decision to actually sell it.

That's one nice thing about eBay I guess, when you list and item (or bid on it), you are committing to sell/buy it. Not to say that some deals don't go sour, but it doesn't happen all that much.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

It's all part of buying and selling anything.

I wish I had ten bucks for every time in the last 15 years I've held a horn for someone (and passed up other opportunities to sell) only to have them back out either because they thought they found a better deal or couldn't raise the money.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

bort wrote: That's one nice thing about eBay I guess, when you list and item (or bid on it), you are committing to sell/buy it. Not to say that some deals don't go sour, but it doesn't happen all that much.

A couple weeks ago, I thought I found a great deal locally. There was a spelling mistake in the title, it was listed in a category that was not the main one (pre-1980 antique). I bid on it and the seller cancelled the listing a day before the close of the auction. Then he relisted it 2 days later... So I bid again. Again he pulled it a day before it was over. In both cases, I'm think the seller was hoping on getting more money, and since he didn't he cancelled it.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Ugh, that sucks! Sorry to hear that!