New User Temporary Posting Limitations

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: New User Temporary Posting Limitations

Post by Dan Schultz »

What Wade said.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I have changed my mind from the first post that was here. Please see my subsequent post.
Last edited by iiipopes on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

the elephant wrote:Wayne does a great job, but the man has a life outside of TubeNet,
No way!
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

There goes Wade....being mean again..... :P
Tubahokk
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubahokk »

As a newbie I'd like to offer some input. I advertised a euphonium here, got many inquiries, and sold it very quickly. I offered verification as to my outside of the forum dealings and good character and used PayPal to receive payment. I sent the buyer all of the pictures he wanted and answered, apparently, all questions to his satisfaction.

I honestly do not think it would have made any difference if I had made a few more posts on TubeNet as to the efficacy of the sale. It may be well possible that some would join, sell or buy what they want, and then leave. But, wouldn't that be a service to the community anyway?

I belong to forums of other hobby interests and all of them provide a disclaimer of non-guarantee and involvement, other then providing an advertising medium, for any sales or purchases.

I have done over 70 such transactions, about 90% on Ebay, and have never been burned. I think that whether person is a lurker or a 5 valve does not necessarily provide a guarantee of better success in internet dealings.

I do, on a side note, envy those of you who have enjoyed the camaraderie of the site and have enjoyed close friendships.

Like I said, just a view on this interesting topic from one of TubeNet's newbies... Take it for what it is worth....
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

the elephant wrote:It makes a lot of sense to require that new members make a minimum number of posts and be registered for a minimum amount of time before being able to post ads in the For Sale section.
A photography forum I participate in has a minimum of 30 days as a member of the board before sales are allowed. It seems to work well but, occasionally, users bump chests about the number of days, etc. Rick Denney is one of the moderators there.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

It is a matter of degree. Now, for those posting electric guitars, which compared to tubas (except for the collectable models) are a dime a dozen, yes, floor limits on posting before selling make sense.

We are a singular breed. Worse, we die with our instruments, and leave our poor kith and kin to make arrangements. So what if a person joins with one intention: selling Uncle Joe's tuba. We all want that tuba. We all want to help the family in a bad circumstance.

So for guitars, trumpets, golf clubs, and other items in general, yes, feel free to impose floor limits on posting to those forums.

But for tubas, we need to help all those whose burden has befallen them, whether bad economics, death in the family, change of career out of music, or whatever, and be the benevolent group of musicians we are.

Remember:

When one trumpet player meets another, the first phrase is, "I'm better than you are."
When one double bass player meets another, the first phrase is, "No, you can't have my gig."
But when one tuba player meets another, the first phrase is, "Glad to meet you. Please let me buy the next round of preferred beverages."
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Guest User
bugler
bugler

Post by Guest User »

I like that there are no restrictions on this board. I just joined and I think I am allowed to post pics and ads and fully participate from the get go. I am on about a dozen web forums and most have these restrictions in place. I do not post all that often, mostly just a reader. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to post something for sale or to post a photo.

Of course, I can see why this would be good here. I have been reading this site for like three years now. I finally decided to join because I may be in the market for a tuba soon and want to be able to contact people here. If you are not logged in here you cannot interact at all. And reading some of the rather stupid stuff that gets posted here (sorry, no offense intended, but there have been some real loo-loo threads since I have been reading) and seeing how many kids post nonsense here, I could see wanting to make them have to earn a place. And earning it as described by the OP would not be hard to do. It seems to serve a good purpose. But I just dont like restrictions on *me* lol lol lol :lol:
This space intentionally left blank.
Guest User
bugler
bugler

Post by Guest User »

bloke wrote:WESTERN UNION ONLY !!!

my god is that beauty made out of copper? No zinc? Or is the lacker colored?
This space intentionally left blank.
LCH3
bugler
bugler

Post by LCH3 »

Greetings,

First of all many thanks to all who have stepped up to take care of TubeNet. I daresay there is far more value here than many of you regular contributors realize, as your contributions are so helpful to (older converted trumpet player) tuba rookies like me.

Regarding the subject here, I'm OK with a minimum posting limit but I think 100 is way too high. I've been registered here since 2009 and only have 63 posts (64 now). I personally have more to learn here than I have to say, but even at that I occasionally might have a tuba related item of value (to others) to offer for sale.

Maybe consideration of minimum posts or time registered, e.g. 10 posts or 12 months as a registered member, whichever comes first, makes one eligible to offer items for sale.

Thanks....
Larry Haake
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

I think limiting posting in for sale until 20 posts and one month unless that n00b is vouched for by a member in good standing.

If we can figure that out. Mark, I think it's a manual permissions thing. You just add them to see the For Sale forum. Grandfather everyone in but start gently warning members that they need to post in other forums or we will remove their ability to see the sale forum.

Yes, I can do that tomorrow. I need a task list.
--farah chisham