For Sale suggestion

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

For Sale suggestion

Post by swillafew »

The person wanting to sell a horn might benefit from having a form to complete. Something like

Price
Brand
Model
Condition

If I know a horn is near me, I give it a different consideration than one that is far away. Many posted horns for sale never mention the location, and it can't help matters.
MORE AIR
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Re: For Sale suggestion

Post by swillafew »

Chances are somebody who reads this forum a lot could whip out the code if they were asked.
MORE AIR
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

Thanks for the heads up. :)
--farah chisham
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

So now our own Ebay listings go in the "For Sale by Owner" board?
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

58mark wrote:sure, but it would be nice if you would start a listing to give us first crack at something first, and then update with an ebay ad if that doesn't work

I know you'e done that kind of thing before.
No doubt. I like the fees here a lot better anyway.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

58mark wrote:Made some changes, let me know what you think
Don't like 'em. Change it back.

For Sale and eBay were perfectly clear labels, people just need to use them correctly. The new titles are complicated.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

:idea: While you're at it, could you say there's an expectation that the posted price should be rational?
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

58mark wrote:I'll leave that up to buyers to determine
:wink:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Michael Bush wrote::idea: While you're at it, could you say there's an expectation that the posted price should be rational?
And here I was, going to list my tuba for sale at 2550π dollars (or maybe e^8.99 dollars?). :roll:
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

bort wrote:2550π dollars
If I wanted your tuba, I would buy it for that... Seems rational to me. :tuba:
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

This comes up every now and then. I say let the free market run its course...

Some sellers seem to have no problem selling their stuff here. They post a reasonable price, item details, location, and photos. Those ads attract buyers and the items sell. At the same time, there are plenty of ads posted with no price, few details and no photos. Those ads sit with their items languishing on Tubenet for months or even years. Some of those items probably never sell here. That has nothing to do with categories and ad requirements, it's about being a smart motivated seller and a smart motivated buyer.

Personally, I'd throw all the sale postings together and quit trying to micromanage it. The system didn't really seem broken to me. There were people that posted good ads on Tubenet the "old way" and there were people that posted crappy ads. I don't really think this new division is going to change that. I think we should just let the buyers and sellers figure it out and just stay out of trying to control it. Dividing items for sale and creating new heading descriptions and posting rules just makes it more complicated.

I looked just a second ago at the heading on the For Sale forum with the new posting requirements. Do you REALLY want every ad reported that doesn't meet the criteria? Hint: I think you're going to get a ton of reports or end up pulling tons of ads! Doesn't sound like a good use to time to me, but it's up to you how seriously you want to enforce the new rules. I'm happy to play by the rules if I have something to sell (I am a guest here, after all), but I guess I just don't have the big issues with the for sale section that some of the rest of you apparently do and don't see the need for all of this messing around with it.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

Tom wrote:I say let the free market run its course...
My first post in this thread that is not partly or entirely tongue-in-cheek: This.

I would say (also neither joking nor Joe King) that whatever the rules are, we'll learn them and work with them.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

So you're telling me that rather than some Sally just posting or PMing the seller if more info is needed -they should instead act like informants and REPORT the ad? You then delist the ad? So for a period of time other potential buyers are not able to see or act on the ad, but the lucky few who did see it now have a chance to jump on it and shut everybody else out???

Seems kind of Orwellian to tell people how they have to sell their stuff. Who is harmed besides the sellers. I mean really how freaking hard is it to PM somebody? Surely less time than reporting their ad - ad then getting delisted - and them either relisting or going elsewhere to sell their stuff or just saying the heck with it.

How about a little Darwinism instead. Those who post good ads will have success selling their stuff. Those who don't will either figure out how to post a successful ad or their stuff will take longer to sell.

Capitalism works best when left alone and not micromanaged.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

tofu wrote:Those who post good ads will have success selling their stuff. Those who don't will either figure out how to post a successful ad or their stuff will take longer to sell.

Capitalism works best when left alone and not micromanaged.
That's a very good point. Maybe the new structure (I'm selling this; someone else is selling that and y'all might be interested), without the new rules about what has to be in the post, would be the best way.
Last edited by Michael Bush on Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Jeez Mark, it's only a tuba board. Chill out.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

58mark wrote:If somebody can't be bothered to give basic information in an ad, they don't need to use our forum to sell their stuff. Posting here is not a basic human right protected by the Constitution.
While I hear what you're saying, I just don't see how a bad ad harms anybody other than the seller and as Bloke points out it often gives motivated buyers willing to do a little work an opportunity to get a bargain. OTOH, I can see this ad criteria causing less ads which is certainly a detriment to the community of tuba players. And while posting "here" is not protected by the Constitution "here" doesn't exist without the community of tuba players.

Personally I'm guilty of way too much info in an ad. I'm just not a fan of lots of regulations and will leave it at that.
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

I was pleased to see the action on the suggestion. The location was mentioned several times and I couldn't agree more. When I sold a horn here I put my location in the title of the post. When I visit the forum I search on the word "Chicago" more than any brand or word related to the instrument itself.
MORE AIR
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Serious comment re: condition.

If your tuba is scratched, dented, dinged or pinged or if it is missing lacquer or plating, it is NOT...

"mint"
"pristine"
"like new"
"perfect"
"showroom condition"

That is all. :tuba:
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.