These Stupid Ads! Bookmark and Share

Give me advice on how to make things better

These Stupid Ads!

Postby the elephant » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:45 pm

Okay, so now the ads cover up a significant amount of user-posted text. OUR POSTS ARE BEING OBSCURED by these ads, which are no longer being constrained within the spaces allotted to them.

The point of the site is to foster community and conversation, it is not to sell stuff.

Or has that changed? ;-)

Again, offering a paid subscription would accomplish the same thing as the ads. Many forums, using older software than what we use her, have tons of annoying ads that people are more than happy to pay to avoid. They also have the ability to tag people and to Like posts or give Kudos to some post that helped them solve an issue. (These are ranked by “effectiveness” and stored in a technical forum for ease of user location as compared to a lame Search function that cannot locate three-letter acronyms that are hype-common in most technical communities...)

Please ask the management to have a look at these ads between posts that cover up the very posts that give them yet another place to inject their horrors upon the ongoing conversation.

Thanks!

Wade

If you need help, try asking a question. Making a series of disconnected, random statements won't get you your answer.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Re: These Stupid Ads!

Postby Mark Finley » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:06 pm

I've using an ad blocking app, so I don't see them. Can you post a screen shot or email it to me?
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Ace » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Mark Finley wrote:I've using an ad blocking app, so I don't see them. Can you post a screen shot or email it to me?

Hey Mark. I see those ads, also. What's the name of your ad-blocking software?

Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Mark Finley » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:50 pm

For mobile I use the brave browser

For desktop I use ublock
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby the elephant » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:43 pm

I do not use an ad blocker on Safari’s iOS version. I am not sure there is one that is any good.

My point is that today the ads suddenly started to be FAR larger than the banner ad space allotted to them by the forum software. Between posts we now have large squares of ad graphics rather than narrow banners, but the forum software does not seem to be able to accommodate this, so blocks of each post are covered up by the ad graphic.

Can’t Sean tweak settings enough to constrain the injected ads to the correct size, or unconstrain the allotted space so the text can flow around the ads?

I can’t read anything now unless I take wild *** guesses at the first few sentences of every post in a thread.

If you need help, try asking a question. Making a series of disconnected, random statements won't get you your answer.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby the elephant » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Aaaaaand now it seems to have gone back to normal. I cannot find any ads that are doing this.

Whatever...

the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby tofu » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:43 am

I'm using safari and ad block and I never see any ads here or anywhere for that matter.

As for a pay subscription model - I think you would lose a minimum of 75% of the eyeballs here - which would mean less sponsor revenue - so it becomes a catch 22 of raising the subscriber fee even more to cover that short fall - which in turn means even less eyeballs. I know I wouldn't be a pay subscriber and I've bought stuff or used the services of a whole lot of sponsors here. I think you would see most people simply migrate to FB - which while inferior to this forum format - it is free and available to all. Very few content sellers have been able to make a fee base model work.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:35 am

If anyone would like to pay a possible future subscription fee now, I might volunteer to be treasurer, just fwiw.
Likely (if any, ever), any possible future subscription fee that you pay might possibly decrease in cost for additional years paid in advance...so the more you pay, the more you might possibly save ! :mrgreen:

bloke "Pay early! Pay often!" :idea:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby bort » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:41 am

the elephant wrote:Aaaaaand now it seems to have gone back to normal. I cannot find any ads that are doing this.

Whatever...

B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 am

tofu wrote:I'm using safari and ad block and I never see any ads here or anywhere for that matter.

As for a pay subscription model - I think you would lose a minimum of 75% of the eyeballs here - which would mean less sponsor revenue - so it becomes a catch 22 of raising the subscriber fee even more to cover that short fall - which in turn means even less eyeballs. I know I wouldn't be a pay subscriber and I've bought stuff or used the services of a whole lot of sponsors here. I think you would see most people simply migrate to FB - which while inferior to this forum format - it is free and available to all. Very few content sellers have been able to make a fee base model work.

No. Not what I suggested at all. The sites I have been commenting on regarding this (for years now) have tons of ads along with an entire ticker of garbage designed to trick the idiots into clicking the little linkies. Anyone can read the site, but you MUST be registered to post anything. Registration is FREE and would operate just like here. Then there are two subscription levels. One year costs a measly $25 and being a 5 Year Supporter is $60, and both levels unlock a lot of niceties. For example, FREE accounts cannot have an avatar pic, $20 accounts can have a small one, and the banner "Supporting Member" appears beneath it. The five year guys can have a larger avatar and the banner changes color and text to reflect that. These are shallow, silly differences, but they are the ones most of the free users see.

The big one for me was at the $20 all the ads went bye-bye. At the 5 year level I could turn off the damned right side ticker and never see it again. This turned the page into a rapidly loading and updating dream.

A lot of the different features revolve around how photos are stored, the max size, how they display, etc. For instance, FREE accounts cannot post photos until after they have posted 25 posts in the various technical forums (and not, say, For Sale, or General Chatter) which forces them to participate in the part of the forum that matters to the community. (The one I am using as my main example from which to draw is WranglerForum.com.)

The ability to advertise is also governed by which of the three levels of membership you have. There are a lot of premium features that paying opens up for users, but the forum is more or less usable for free users, too.

This setup has taken that community from a few thousand to like 50,000 since it opened up as an alternative to a community that was much less moderated and where members were allowed to have flame wars and pissing matches all the time. It is still larger, but it lost many members to this newer site. To survive it also adopted this three-tier membership system and it added a lot of mods and gave them the ability to ban members.

Now both communities (which are still very different from one another) are successful because they have lots of ads but allow users to pay a yearly fee to turn them off. Premium users get an email address and photo storage at two different levels, and the free accounts do not.

I know we would never be set up as such large communities that can pool funds to provide photo storage and an email server, but we do not really need that stuff, either.

Further, they have a Lifetime Membership which is a few hundred bucks, and it unlocks some things I have never seen, and I do not think many of those guys use them, as they never talk about them. I think they are simply old timers who have been there since the late 1990s who want to help, so they dump in a large chunk of change and get a really cool banner on their avatar.

Whatever, ads do NOT need to rule this place unless you are an unregistered reader or a free user. If you pay, the ads can be turned off. (It is an option, in case you enjoy garbage that slows you machine down to a crawl, and there a some who are like this.)

This particular forum also has tagging and a simple Like function, as well as Kudos that allow people to vote on technical write-ups and posts that give advice. Kudos are ranked and searchable by topic.

One thing that really interests me is that for paying members there is free access to a vetted escrow service to use in vehicle sales between members. No one gets the money until everyone is satisfied. There is only a very moderate fee for this, and membership gets discounts with all paid vendors as a part of their sponsorship program.

While we would never be a community large enough to do these things, certainly we can do *some* of them, starting with a simple paid membership that allows the user to turn the ads off completely. I do not come here to shop, unless it is from an individual. I don't want to have to read that garbage or have it clogging up my data usage and time online waiting for it to load. I don't want Sponsor ads, Google ads, nothing. If I need something I can go to the Sponsor area to click a link to take me to a company. I do not need to be reminded that so-and-so runs a business when he is not posting; I already know that and have since I started coming here in 1998. I do not need to see ads based on my surfing to other sites. I do not need generic ads that are forced into every nook and cranny of the page. I came here to ESCAPE that crap, and I am tired of it. ALL of it.

the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby the elephant » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:11 am

The issue is not having to keep updating or installing a parade of ad blockers, either. I don't want them there at all. I want to pay a fee to turn them off. Not all add blockers work on all the ads we have here. Some do not work at all, like the current fiasco with Safari 12 in Mojave. For weeks there were NO ad blockers that would run. I am not allowing advertisers to make me use platforms or applications I dislike just to avoid seeing their crap.

the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:56 am

I have sent this thread to Sean and Farah. If it's possible to have the option of supporting memberships and bypass the ads, they will know the answer to that question. This template we are running here is a real dinosaur, so it may not be possible.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby FarahShazam » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:18 pm

You folks do realize we aren’t software engineers, correct? If you’re having issues with posts blocked by ads, it’s your computer or browser settings. There is no way to dismantle add if you’re a sponsor.

If someone wants to step up and program settings on some message software for little to no money, give me a holler.
--farah chisham
FarahShazam
Chisham
Chisham

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Farah and Sean both wrote me to tell me that they are looking into options
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby SteveP » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:52 pm

What am I missing here? I installed AdBlock Plus over a year ago and haven't seen an ad here since. Not one. Zilch. Nada. Of course if I want to see them I can temporarily disable it. Granted, not all of us are using Windows computers but I'll bet AdBlock would solve the problem for the vast majority us users.
Steve
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (tuba/board/treasurer)
Lake Havasu Symphonic Winds (board/treasurer)
SteveP
3 valves
3 valves

Postby the elephant » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:02 pm

It has been specifically requested that we not block ads here several times in a he past. Additionally, there is a new type of ad that went active recently that not much seems to be able to block. There was a long thread about it recently.

the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby FarahShazam » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:04 pm

Mark Finley wrote:Farah and Sean both wrote me to tell me that they are looking into options

I'm hopeful for good changes, guys. I will let you folks know either way. I know everyone here appreciates the community. I'd like for you all to be happy about any
positive changes. Thank you for the feedback.

--farah
--farah chisham
FarahShazam
Chisham
Chisham

Postby tofu » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:30 am

the elephant wrote:It has been specifically requested that we not block ads here several times in a he past. Additionally, there is a new type of ad that went active recently that not much seems to be able to block. There was a long thread about it recently.

Well - I'm running Safari - on a Mac Pro and I never see an ad (including whatever the new type of ad that you are talking about) using AdBlock. Nobody else running Safari seems to be having an Ad problem here on TubeNet and I don't see ads any where on the web with adblock.

As for your pay model - well it seems like most people here are not having any issues with ads. So now all these folks who are not seeing ads now - should pay $20 with a new model to not see ads under your new system - when with the current system they pay zero? I think the old adage - if it works don't fix it - applies here. This isn't a community of 50,000 users. If you take out the bots and the people with multiple accounts I think we have maybe 3000 real users and how many of those are that active that they are willing to pay for the privilege of the occasional drive by visit to not see ads? I bet most people only sell the occasional item here, but do actually buy a good amount of stuff from the sponsors -who seem to get enough business to justify the cost of sponsoring. Is it worth $20 a year to sell a $60 MP every few years for the majority of users? I would think not. The current revenue feeds seem to be at a minimum enough for Sean & Farah to cover the cost of keeping the place up and running. I know if I was faced with getting a bunch of junk in the feed under a new system or pay $20 to not get the junk in the feed I'd pass, but I'm sure there are others who would pay up. The question is if that number is high enough to keep the sponsors around -as departing eyeballs are no longer seeing sponsors and their stuff eyeballs.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:49 am

I post a lot...an absolutely absurdly high amount...which - I believe - prompts people (who might not otherwise) to express their opinions - as mine are expressed rather unapologetically, with few (likely: too few) "probably's", "possibly's" or "perhaps's" inserted in my rhetoric.
Some believe that my posts accomplish the opposite, but I disagree.
I also pay some money to run a banner ad.
:arrow: This is not my website.
:arrow: Therefore, I view this as none of my business.
Wayne Wiley - in the past - set up a similar site for a while.
I never saw very many ads there.
It occurs to me that if symphony orchestra program booklets featured no ads, it would be easier to find the music director bio, list of musicians, list of the board directors' names, list of pieces to be performed, and program notes. Likely, only a $25 ticket price increase would cover the orchestra-to-orchestra average loss in revenue...unless the donor's list were also removed, which might add on yet another $50 per ticket.
bloke

Postby the elephant » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:43 am

This is what I am on about. Where is Andy's post? Hundreds of posts are covered up like this. I am trying to follow the wishes of the owner and not using an ad blocker, as per his request.

the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Next

Return to FeedBack