These Stupid Ads! Bookmark and Share

Give me advice on how to make things better

Re: These Stupid Ads!

Postby Mark Finley » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:09 am

I went back to chrome to test to see if I could replicate this situation, and I couldn't. I see exactly what you are talking about, but I'm not sure what to say about it.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby the elephant » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Yeah, and it all started on one morning, all of a sudden. None of the ads being injected are of the correct dimensions for the spaces allotted, like a bug in the code, so that the larger ads are being injected into the too-small space, or the style sheet cannot wrap around the larger ads or whatever tech goop it is. The issue is not the ads but that our space cannot fit the ads being injected by our pals at Google.

You know, you try to not use an ad blocker here because you are trying to be a good egg and a team player and so you don't. And then you cannot read much of the content because of the ads. Why come here if you cannot read the content? This is a content-driven community, not an ad-driven one, meaning the ads serve a purpose but are not the reason for the site to exist. On my phone these oversized ads occur between just about every post, blocking the first four or five lines of text of EVERY post in EVERY thread. So why even come here, then? Seriously, this is a real issue and it needs addressing. I am not just whining.

Or I could use an ad blocker all the time. Which I have been asked to not do, on several occasions…
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bort » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:11 pm

the elephant wrote:Or I could use an ad blocker all the time. Which I have been asked to not do, on several occasions…

What's the reason for that? Lost ad revenue?

I always thought that ads were paid per click... and for the ads that pop up most of the time, who on earth is clicking these things anyway, except by accident? Even if it IS something that seems relevant to me, I'm still not actually going to click the link. I'll just type the URL in the address bar. Maybe that's just me?

Or is the revenue from ads generated some other way, and not even displaying the ad is some sort of loss of revenue?
B&S 4198 (PT-7P) <-- For sale!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91221
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Ken Herrick » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:07 pm

I believe it is about the "sponsors" banner ads also being blocked. They pay to have those displayed.
Maybe a solution would be to add another forum for the sponsors banner ads only with only the sponsor or admin being able to post in it or alter them.
I agree that I prefer using adblock plus and keeping all my viewing ad free. I'm guessing that the bots would also pay something based on the number of clicks on their ads, otherwise why would they be allowed. One of those "you can't please everybody all the time" situations.
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Postby WakinAZ » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:42 pm

I have noticed the same problem as Wade. I just checked it on both Chrome and Firefox on my Android Samsung S8 phone. The ads are interweaved between each response of this thread or at least every other. So it makes a nice striped pattern of ads and content.
The ad seriously are almost as much space on the page as the content. Reminds me of the old days when you'd get those toolbars and you'd get so many toolbars you couldn't see your browser window.
Anyways junky and spammy and a really poor user experience.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Postby the elephant » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:26 am

New addition, at least for me:

Now, at the bottom, is a selection of random TubeNet threads with huge, massive profile photos or a photo from within the thread, like a list of things suggested to you that has zero meaning but that takes a TON of time to load because of the twenty photos. About half of the threads are ours, and the other half are links to things on other sites. WTF?
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bort » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:16 am

I get that on my phone, Wade. It's kind of goofy, but I have learned to ignore it.
B&S 4198 (PT-7P) <-- For sale!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91221
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:27 am

The slow speed of the Internet in Mississippi means that the pages never really finish loading due to all the additional content at the bottom. The large photos and ads are choking this site to death. It is no longer worth the trouble to come here except on my fastest computer when at home. I mostly read this site from my phone while at rehearsals. Not any more, though. Not worth the frustration.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:38 am

I have made no secret of the fact that I strongly dislike this iPhone (which Mrs. bloke handed me), as iPhones - it seems to me - use-and-boss the consumer, rather than the consumer being able to use-and-boss the iPhone...

...so - eventually - I'm going to throw it in the trash and buy some fractionally expensive and non-Apple internet phone...

...which (finally) leads to my question:

Do some of the superior-to-and-much-less-costly-than-i Phones feature browsers which offer ad blocking add-ons?

fwiw...I get all of the googononsense (sandwiched between the boobnet posts) on my iPhone, but am always able to view around them...whether it's home wifi, fast-food public wifi, or performance-venue public wifi. (I never look at the internet on my phone without wifi, because [1] we only purchase an ultra-minimal cellular-download plan, [2] free wifi is all over the place, and [3] the only place that I probably don't have immediate access to wifi is in my car...and I don't text/email/post while driving.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Ken Herrick » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:42 pm

Your phone IS SPYING ON YOU!!!!!
A bit of insight can be found at: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-25/ ... e/10306586
Valid point, Bloke! The more tech gear one uses the more vulnerable one is.

I believe there are blockers available for iPhones. A lot of the ads you get would be a result of your phone collecting all sorts of data and passing it on.

When you buy a new phone, my advice is be wary of Hauwei and other "ALL CHINESE" brands. The government owns many makers and they are compelled to cooperate with the government. China HAS an agenda and uses seemingly friendly means to achieve it.

The toys like google home and such are continually listening and collecting information on you. BIG BROTHER has a whole family keeping tabs on you.

A few months ago I received an email from a friend which mentioned CNC lathes being used in his business. Within hours I started getting emails from CNC lathe makers and dealers. Nothing suspicious about that .?.?.?

Using "free" public wifi offers more snoopers the chance to monitor you.

Is a VPN (virtual private network) the answer. Wellllllllll, maybe - IF that provider is not also spying on you and selling the info it collects after lulling you into a "safe place".

Sweet dreams all.
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:26 pm

LOL...
I have turned down all requests by my banks and insurance companies to open up online accounts, and never use any email or messaging services when killing time (scrolling) at MickyD's, etc. Additionally (as well as flushing my phone's and laptop's toilets every two or three days), I go to google fairly often and empty (so they claim :roll: ) their record of any crap they've stored on me, I shun gmail, and I use duckduckgo.
bloke

Postby the elephant » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:28 pm

So the ads between posts seem to no longer block the posts so that they cannot be read. That seems to be fixed. But the long run of ads and “helpful links” to other TubeNet posts use large, slow-to-load photos that mean the pages never finish loading now.

They seem to be totally random, too.

Here are two of the ads that appear at the bottom of this thread (out of THIRTY!!!!) that show the randomness of these things.

And here is the first one at the end of the SSH thread currently in play. The lady next to me at my church gig rehearsal saw this. So now she thinks that when I am reading TubeNet that I am looking at dorn, rather than an ad for some online undergarment store. How nice. Yep. TubeNet is probably going to become something I only read at home in my spare time, which means not often. I check this place constantly during the day when I have short breaks in my work, but I cannot have this crap showing up on my phone in a church.

Hope you all enjoyed the photos as much as this colleague of mine did. I enjoyed it, too. But it was not representative of my Internet content intake this morning, at a rehearsal where I have ten tacet sheets. I was just reading Facebook and Tubenet, and then *HEY* we have boobies.

Just sharing! ;-)

the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:35 am

Most tuba players' man-boobs are larger than those.
The only difference is that guy apparently shaves his armpits.
bloke

Postby Schlepporello » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:25 pm

bloke wrote:Most tuba players' man-boobs are larger than those.

And you know this because...………..?
I'm just crazy about dementia.
BBb Helicon built by Harvey Hartman (for sale)
Miraphone 496
York "Master" (pre-1961)
Yamaha YBB-103
Conn 20K Sousaphone (no worky)
Frank Holton Sousaphone (no valve cluster)
Schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Schlepporello wrote:
bloke wrote:Most tuba players' man-boobs are larger than those.

And you know this because...………..?

speaking of feedback... :( :x

bloke

Postby Rick F » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:31 pm

Anyone else notice that the ads now are in the middle of member’s posts? One post there were two ads with pictures breaking up the post. This is with tablet not PC. My PC has an ad blocker.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:24 pm

"Ads between posts" is formally known as "The Compensation System".
bloke

Postby k001k47 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:17 pm

bort wrote:
the elephant wrote:Or I could use an ad blocker all the time. Which I have been asked to not do, on several occasions…

What's the reason for that? Lost ad revenue?

Yep.
Everyone blocking ads kind of defeats the purpose of running them. Started reading phpBB discussions, and there are extensions that deny users running ad blockers for that reason.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:27 pm

When it is insisted that (in order to view) ad-blockers be turned off, I then must decide if the article/post/etc. is worth it.
Often, the answer is "no".
If not "no", I just open ol' I.E., paste the url of that one site into it, and read.
Many sites only ask that ad blockers be turned off, and one's allowed answer is "no".
For those who are reading on their phones with limited options, my response is as follows:

bloke wrote:...
bloke

Postby FarahShazam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 pm

Block the ads. I really don't care at all. How can anyone tell?
--farah chisham
FarahShazam
Chisham
Chisham

Previous

Return to FeedBack