wasted use of the website Bookmark and Share

Give me advice on how to make things better

wasted use of the website

Postby bloke » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:05 pm

The settings are now allowing people to upload attachments in private messages.
It seems to me, that could use up inordinate quantities of resources when only one person is communicating with only one person...eh?
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: wasted use of the website

Postby windshieldbug » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:14 pm

I can’t read your message... send it to me as an attachment! :P
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Postby Mark Finley » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Right now we're running at about 33% of server capacity for attachments, so it isn't a huge concern. When we get close to full I'll go in and delete old postings in the for sale forum, where the bulk of the attachments are stored
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:22 am

If a website such as this also functions as a bit of a pictorial museum, I would encourage deletion, first, of the most mundane.
bloke

Postby Mark Finley » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:45 am

There are two ways for admins to delete attachments

1. Go into every person's individual account and delete attachments, one at a time

2. Delete posts and threads in bulk that are outdated and are likely to contain attachments (old for sale ads)
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby FarahShazam » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:00 am

I activated that feature. It works well and uses very little space. Once the message is read, the attachments are marked as “orphan” attachments which gets purged. If I notice inappropriate use, I’ll remove the feature. I did it with the sponsors in mind.
--farah chisham
FarahShazam
Chisham
Chisham

Postby Ace » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:44 am

FarahShazam wrote:I activated that feature. It works well and uses very little space. Once the message is read, the attachments are marked as “orphan” attachments which gets purged. If I notice inappropriate use, I’ll remove the feature. I did it with the sponsors in mind.

Farah, I like your new photo holding your French horn. Questions: You are a horn player in the US Navy Band DC-----did the military buy that horn specially for you? Or, did you pick it from existing inventory? What make and model horn is it? Thanks.

Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:27 am

FarahShazam wrote:I activated that feature. It works well and uses very little space. Once the message is read, the attachments are marked as “orphan” attachments which gets purged. If I notice inappropriate use, I’ll remove the feature. I did it with the sponsors in mind.

' sounds good.
bloke

Postby FarahShazam » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:42 am

Ace wrote:

Farah, I like your new photo holding your French horn. Questions: You are a horn player in the US Navy Band DC-----did the military buy that horn specially for you? Or, did you pick it from existing inventory? What make and model horn is it? Thanks.

Ace

This horn is actually my personal horn. It's a Durk/Duerk original serial #11 (so, the 11th one he made) from, I believe, the late 90s. There is no model name (it's like a D4 but earlier).

My Navy horn is a Schmid full double. Every 10 years, we are allowed to put in a supply request for an instrument. Most older instruments are life cycled and is first offered to any fleet bands/members then DRMOed if not selected.
--farah chisham
FarahShazam
Chisham
Chisham

Return to FeedBack