New Wessex York 6/4 CC

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

New Wessex York 6/4 CC

Post by Wyvern »

I am pleased to give you a first glimpse of the new Wessex York Classic 6/4 CC of which the prototype was completed only a few days ago. I had told the factory that this would be Wessex new 'flagship' tuba and they must make a good job, and they certainly took my word and produced a better tuba than even I would have thought possible in China.

Instead of using parts from our new Grand 6/4 BBb, they made entirely new mandrels, so there are no compromises with this tuba. It is build as a CC from the start, and not a cut down BBb. Furthermore they decided to entirely hand-make the tuba in the exclusive 'high-grade' department, hand hammering the bell and all the larger bows in traditional fashion, as done by the smaller German factories. I was told just the top bow alone took two craftsmen two days to make, so much care was taken. I truly believe this is the best quality tuba to ever come out of China.

Due to the hand-hammering the tuba is incredibly light. Although 6/4 size CC, at only 8kg, it is lighter than our regularly TE560 Champion Eb tuba!

Professional testing will now be undertaken, and if favourable, the Wessex TC695 will be out early 2018. I can't give you a retail price as yet, but am aiming for it to be considerably less than anything else equivalent available.

Pictured is Chuck Nickles (ex-US Army Band, Europe and now Wessex technical consultant) play testing the York at factory for the very first time.

Last edited by Wyvern on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: New Wessex York 6/4 CC

Post by thevillagetuba »

Is there a fifth valve, or plans for one? Can't tell if I'm missing it (might be behind the hand, though that would be pretty far up the bugle, but not unheard of--the Baer has a "far" 5th) or if you're testing the prototype without one.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Yes, certainly there is a 5th valve. It is hidden in this picture by Chuck's hand
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

Wyvern wrote:Yes, certainly there is a 5th valve. It is hidden in this picture by Chuck's hand
Ok, that's what I thought. Food to hear! Can't wait to see this one in person.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Is that the "short" York leadpipe style?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

bort wrote:Is that the "short" York leadpipe style?
Yes, faithful ergonomically to the CSO original. I find surprisingly comfortable to hold and play.

The actual leadpipe itself is Chuck Nickles design
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

Is there an unobstructed picture of the valve section of the tuba?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

chronolith wrote:Is there an unobstructed picture of the valve section of the tuba?
I am just finalising pricing with factory and once that is completed the horn will be up on the website. That should be before the end of July

I have little doubt that we will go into production with no changes as this tuba as it has worked out so well. One professional that tried could find nothing to fault. In fact he wants one for playing Shostakovich gig later this year. I was not sure what he meant, but he said "it does not feel like a Chinese made tuba"
joshealejo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by joshealejo »

Any new, picture, video or price on this Wessex York?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Here is a picture of the prototype for the new Wessex TC695 6/4 CC tuba
Note as this is prototype, there may be changes before production, although feedback from everyone who has tried in Europe has been so positive, I will not be surprised if no changes are made. A couple of professional comments were "You have really done it this time - I can't fault! This does not feel like a Chinese tuba" (whatever that means?). Another said it is more responsive than the Yorkbrunner they played and intonation is so solid that slide pulling is not required. The prototype is now in USA for professional testing and sign-off. I anticipate Wessex having one to try at US Army Tuba/Euphonium Conference and TMEA in 2018 - with first batch for sale, Spring 2018. Planned price is in four figures, so less than anything comparible available - although still more than any other tubas in the Wessex range, remembering the TC695 is entirely handmade with hand-hammered bows.

Also expected out at the same time will be the TB692 6/4 BBb Grand and an entirely new 4/4 piston valve BBb.

These with all Wessex production is now done by new dedicated team at Jinbao of their best craftsman working full-time just building for Wessex Tubas to ensure the high quality that Wessex demands.
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

Any chance of getting this beauty in raw brass as well?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Steginkt wrote:Any chance of getting this beauty in raw brass as well?
I know a few people who would like raw brass, so we will be making that option available.

That is also good option for people who want satin silver - buy raw brass and get plated to your personal taste in the US