2 special instruments: Mid-South booth @ Army Conference Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

2 special instruments: Mid-South booth @ Army Conference

Postby bloke » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:00 pm

genuine GERMAN handmade kaiser orchester b-tuba (Miraphone 190)

- a BB♭ German orchestra tuba
- sheet brass with V-insert seamed bell
- 17.5" bell
- 45-1/2" tall (You may not hear it quite as well as some bell-right-in-your-ear "piggy"-style tuba, but everyone else will ! :shock: )
- .835" bore
- very good intonation (similar to 186 intonation)
- BIG MAJESTIC (but not diffuse) sound
- extraordinarily good condition original lacquer, which includes 100% intact lacquer on finger paddles
- never any bell creases, and other small dents removed
- amazing-craftsmanship slimline wood case (made in Australia...surely too costly to manufacture today)
:arrow: - $6500

bloke (Joe Sellmansberger) assembled German/Asian piston 4+1 F tuba
- bell is a GDR-vintage no-dents/no-heavy-buffing/yellow brass 16-1/2 medium-large throat "Perantucci" bell.
- bell dimensions are similar to PT-10 bell dimensions, but build with old-school methods
- This instrument was built to see if I could mimick the MRP design, except with a bit more centered sound.
- The body consists of bows similar to the Packer JP379FF branches EXCEPT these bows are yellow brass (as is the bell).
- The valveset bore (stainless steel very high-grade pistons/casings) is .748" and is reconfigured from the JP379CC valveset.
- Fingerbuttons are B&S/M-W.
- Rotor linkage is the aluminum Minibal w/special large screw-head for reduced tilting.
- All slide tubes are nickel silver.
- #1 piston is vented.
- I bent the mouthpipe with the 80:20 alloy, for red-rot resistance.
- Slide alignment is excellent, but tubes are not "loosened".
- B&S/M-W (yet: brass) Water keys are set up for left hand operation.
- Intonation is very easy. With the slides positioned as shown, I personally pull no slides when playing this instrument.
- I REALLY LIKE this instrument, but do NOT need this instrument.
- This instrument is lacquered...but only as well as a bloke can manage. The appearance is very nice.
:arrow: $5000
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: 2 special instruments: Mid-South booth @ Army Conference

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:57 am

The F tuba is sold, has been offloaded. and will not be on display.
bloke

Postby bloke » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:26 am

We're waiting for the paper check to arrive for the F tuba, and the German orchester b-tuba (Miraphone) is still available.

Rick Denney handed me a new-looking (used) large ProTec bag in which it will fit.

When the tuba is sold, I'm going to include that bag - along with the beautiful hard case (no price increase), and pay Rick for his bag.

review of pricing: $6500

Message, email, or CALL me.
I'll answer any/all questions frankly/candidly/honestly.

This instrument offers a big, majestic, and not-diffuse sound.
I would describe the resonance is "somewhat Mira-186 or M-W 25 like, ON STEROIDS" (louder and larger, with not much more effort).
If you believe you have a serious shot at a job in a western continental European orchestra, you'll possibly not be allowed to audition with any sort of "C" tuba.
bloke

Postby bloke » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 pm

I'm just a bit annoyed re: the F tuba.
I typically take people at their word, but I'm getting the "silent treatment" from the person who promised to send a check for the F tuba. :roll:
This tuba is a no-brainer fast-seller, and could/would have sold on the first day to any one of a number of people who attended the Army Conference...YET I was told that it is "sold", and that a check is on the way, so I pulled it off the van the night before heading off to the Army Conference.

To complicate things, a TON of our little town's mail was lost - THEN found, and (finally) delivered...but the found mail (though we finally received some lost/glad-to-finally-receive fairly larger payments from school systems for other instruments) included no check for this F tuba from this "buyer".

:arrow: SO THE F TUBA IS STILL FOR SALE.
yes...I know: You'll be buying a picture...but I'm about 99% certain that whoever buys it will not be asking to return it. It's a REALLY sweet piston F tuba...My PERSONAL rule is that (even if I REALLY like something) I'm NOT going to hold on to two of any-type-of-tuba-in-particular...so this needs to be sold, and the revenue spent on stuff Mrs. bloke thinks we "need". :|

Feel free to call me if you have questions 901-465-4739...or (just like that nutty trumpet guy who makes the crazy-expensive trumpets with all of the extraneous sheet metal attached to them) I'll play it for you over the phone. :shock:
=========================================
also: I really can't accept much less, but I might consider a bit lower offer than advertised for the really nice Miraphone kaiser B-flat. Again, if it isn't sold soon, I'm going to do a couple of time-consuming bloke-things to it, that would then define a higher (rather than than lower) price that I'd be willing to entertain. The tuning is really good...Only the D/D-flat ("open" and "2nd valve" - two fifth partial pitches) are flat...as with many 186's, M-W 25's, and the like. The sound - to me - is very "186-like"...except BROADER and LOUDER (with the same amount of effort). It does NOT sound like a B-flat or C york-o-phone, fwiw.
bloke

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:56 pm

F tuba is (re)-sold.
thnx. 8)
bloke

Postby Doc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:45 am

I can’t believe someone hasn’t bought the Miraphone yet. It’s a nice player. Big sound, little effort, easy to steer. Intonation doesn’t get much better.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Return to TubeNet Sponsors