New Baadsvik CD and a deal!

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

New Baadsvik CD and a deal!

Post by BVD Press »

Dear All,

Late today I received a call from Qualiton imports letting me know a new CD from Oystein Baadsvik is now available!

You can pick a copy up on my site (http://www.bvdpress.com) for $15.00 until March 12 and then the price gets a bump. If you don't have Oystein's last CD (Danzas) that is available as well. If don't have either CD, pick them both up for $30.00!

From Kyle Turner's Expressions CD, I have also added the duets and the Sonatina to the site.

Everything can be found on the bottom of the homepage.

Below is what is on the new CD and a description. I have not heard the CD yet, but I am assuming it like all of the other recordings which are just amazing!

The new CD contains two concertos by Kalevi Aho:

Concerto for Tuba (Oystein Baadsvik soloist)
Concerto for Contrabassoon (Lewis Lipnick Soloist)

Two unusual solo instruments are the focus of this all-Aho disc. Indeed, in the case of the contrabassoon (or double bassoon), Kalevi Aho’s work is one of the very few concertos that exist. It is also by far the most demanding and extensive. In fact, the solo part became playable only after recent developments of the instrument itself, extending its compass upwards. While composers have treated the tuba slightly more generously, there was certainly room for another concerto in the repertoire when Aho composed it in 2001. Both instruments are sometimes treated as the buffoons of the symphony orchestra, and are often called in by composers for comic effect. But Kalevi Aho underlines the great capacity of the two for cantabile singing, a quality that he has endeavored to bring out in their respective concertos.

Wishing all happy weekend,