TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

The new SSH-II & SSH-MB models

Post by Paul S »

SSH News Update

The New SSH-II

While I am updating the web site this week, I have been getting a lot of questions about the new models of SSH mouthpieces that are now becoming available so I thought I would share this update.

In working with mouthpiece guru, Dave Houser, a new smaller SSH rim was designed for use on both the new SSH-II model and the upcoming SSH-MB "bowl" models. This rim keeps the same exact rim width, flat rim contour and bite of the original SSH but with a narrower inner diameter of 32.6 mm vs the SSH 33.45. Both of the new models will share the outer shell design of the SSH classic

The SSH-II is based on a copy of an original smaller Helleberg that Conn had out in the 1930s. It has a more pronounced funnel, narrower inner diameter, and an even more open throat than other Helleberg mouthpieces including the SSH original and SSH classic (8.50 mm vs 8.28 mm).

The articulation and control on the SSH-II is even more impressive than the original and especially so on a big horn. I think it will be super for quintet work with a large CC horn as well as for those wanting a smaller rim inner diameter but with that true Helleberg flat contour and bite that no one offers any longer. I have sold the first few I received but am to be resupplied the first week of December. The SSH-II is available in both American and Euro shank versions.

The SSH-MB and SSH-MBL are medium shallow bowl mouthpieces that are very similar to the C-4 and Bobo Solo models in the bowl cup and backbore but with the new smaller inner diameter (32.6mm) flat contour and sharp bite SSH rim. The SSH-MB has a throat of 7.5 mm and the SSH-MBL is similar except a more open throat at 8.15 mm The SSH-MB series will only be in American shank.

I finally have the SSH-II rolling out in numbers and the SSH-MB models looking to ship by Christmas time.. Full specs on the five models are shown below with more photos coming soon. The website should be updated with these models by December 1st and I will be offering a free Dolly Bags leather mouthpiece pouch with orders before December 31st.

SSH Mouthpieces
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Principal Tubist, Grand Lake Symphony
B&S PT-606 CC - Yamaha YFB-621 F
SSH Mouthpieces http://sshmouthpieces.com/" target="_blank
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

SSH-II

Post by Paul S »

To answer a question of how the SSH-II compares to the SSH original, the Conn Helleberg 120 or the Helleberg 7B, the SSH-II is a totally different mouthpiece. Early Conn Hellebergs had variation in size and the SSH-II was based on one of the smaller versions while the SSH classic and original was based on one of the very largest of the early models. if you study the old Charles Daellenbach copy of an early original smaller Helleberg versus the size of the Arnold Jacobs Helleberg you can easily see how big the variations were in two very good mouthpieces of the era. The current Conn Helleberg 120 falls in between and has a more rounded rim than any of the early hellebergs.

Compared to the SSH original and classic, the SSH-II has a slightly shallower and steeper funnel, a larger throat, a narrower inner diameter and, because of that, it has a new and different rim.

That said, the rim flatness contour, width across the rim face (7 mm) and bite are the same as on the Classic and SSH Original model, just with a small inner diameter at 32.6 mm versus 33.45 mm for the SSH original and classic.

At a cup depth of 47.9 mm the SSH-II is not as shallow as the Conn 7B but it is shallower than the SSH original and classic that have a depth of 49.4 mm. The SSH original and classic have a larger throat and are both deeper and wider than the current Conn Helleberg 120 and the Hellebergs of the 1960s and 1970s. The throat on the SSH-II is larger than even the SSH original and classic.
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Principal Tubist, Grand Lake Symphony
B&S PT-606 CC - Yamaha YFB-621 F
SSH Mouthpieces http://sshmouthpieces.com/" target="_blank