We're Back - and Conference News

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

We're Back - and Conference News

Post by Lee Stofer »

Happy New Year to all tuba and euphonium players!

The new shop facility was completed in Iowa just before Christmas, 2007, and we have resumed full operations, to include band instrument repair, and instrument and accessory sales.

The website has not been updated in a long time - there are just not enough hours in the day- but the website will receive attention soon.

The shop is abuzz with activity this week, preparing to exhibit at the 25th Annual Capitol Tuba Conference in Washington, DC. Mike Finn and I will be in our usual corner with the usual suspects assisting us. Jim Kelly has been invited to join us, and may be at the Conference next week, also, if his schedule allows.

Mike has new euphonium mouthpieces to augment his line of low brass mouthpieces, and I will have my Stofer-Geib mouthpieces, as well as Bruno Tilz, Rudolf Meinl, Kelly, Canadian Brass and Bach mouthpieces, some at clearance prices. I will have a limited stock of the new Kelly stainless steel mouthpieces, which has quickly become my favorite stainless mouthpiece. It has a unique and penetrating sound, and a comfortable feel.

I will be showing the new Kanstul CTU902-5B, the new 5-valve piston CC with detachable bell. An immense amount of research and development has gone into this tuba, which is about the size of the old Conn 3/4 CC tuba. The great layout of the valves and slides, completely revamped from prototype #1 of last year, combined with Kanstul's craftsmanship results in a horn that is a wonderful player, practical to transport even when flying, and is more affordable than imported instruments.

I will also be showing the new Kanstul silver-plated compensating euphonium with the detachable, lacquered bronze bell. It is truly delightful to play and listen to, and is visually a wonderful work of art, also. I expect a lot of people will want to try this instrument out, so get down to the exhibit hall before someone buys it!

I will be showing a new Kanstul 3+1 non-compensating euphonium, which is a great, lighter-weight and less-expensive alternative to the compensating euphonium, particularly for younger students, tuba players who double on euphonium, and amateur players who want to play a fine instrument that is moderately priced. The difference between Kanstul's non-compensating euphoniums and others is that these instruments have the same bell, body branches and leadpipe as the professional models, and accept a bass trombone-sized mouthpiece shank. This results in a moderately-priced instrument that plays like a professional instrument.

My biggest seller has been the Kanstul CTU900-4B, the 5/4, 4-front-piston BBb tuba that is based on the bore and tapers of the old Martin Mammoth BBb basses. Since Martins have not been made for years, many people may not know what to expect. The instrument starts out with a .689" valve bore, but then blossoms out into a huge body. The result is an instrument that is not hard to fill up, but can produce a lot of bottom for any ensemble. The pistons are fast, quiet and precisely made, so the instrument is possibly the most agile 5/4 BBb tuba ever built. I had a demo model here that I gigged on during 2007, but sold it two weeks ago, so I ordered another new one that I'll have at the show next week.

Besides these instruments, I plan to show a refurbished Rudolf Meinl 6-valve 5/4 F tuba, a 1924-vintage Conn "Grand Orchestral" BBb tuba, a 1957-vintage Olds-Reynolds 4-front-piston BBb tuba with upright bell and factory-original 1st slide tuning gizmo, and the lowest-priced new tuba available made on the American Continent - a new Weril Eb tuba, fully-serviced, with gig bag and mouthpiece, that will go for less than $1,000.00.

So, I look forward to seeing and visiting with many friends and acquaintances in Washington, DC. Please feel free to call or e-mail with any questions or comments.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.