synthetic spacer washers (aka "felts") for piston tubas Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

synthetic spacer washers (aka "felts") for piston tubas

Postby bloke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:01 pm

If you've heard about these but haven't seem them, I'm offering sets if synthetic spacer washers for piston tubas. I have them in a wide range of thicknesses. If you show up in person and pay a reasonable labor charge, I'll custom fit them (via measurements) to your instrument and (as seen in the picture) use shims, if called for.

Otherwise, I know the correct stock thicknesses for quite a few models of tubas, and I believe every mail order customer so far (99% of those who purchase these) is satisfied.

The density of these charcoal/black washers is slightly more than the old medium-gray Besson/Hirsbrunner synthetics, and noticeably less than common neoprene. The compromise that I made (as several density grades are available to me) is the LEAST amount of noise with the MOST durability and compression resistance.

Just to state the obvious, these are designed to be placed underneath the top valve caps and underneath the finger buttons, and eight are required for a four-piston tuba.

The price (unless there is some exception that requires more than eight of these) is $20 per set of eight + $1 to cover the postage and an envelope. I ship via First Class Mail.

I can accept Visa & MasterCard, but it is much easier for me to receive payment by personal check with a piece of paper enclosed stating what/who/where/etc. Of course I will not "hold your check" for a $21 purchase. As long as I have your size(s) in stock, I will ship immediately.

Thanks very much for your consideration.

- bloke

payable to:

Mid-South Music
14670 Highway 193
Williston, TN 38076
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: synthetic spacer washers (aka "felts") for piston tubas

Postby phaymore » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:17 pm

I know at one time you were too covered up with repair work to mess with selling synthetic washers. Has that changed? I just got a new horn and would love a set. Thanks!

Patrick
phaymore
bugler
bugler

Re: synthetic spacer washers (aka "felts") for piston tubas

Postby bloke » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:07 pm

At the risk of sounding like a snoot, I just don't have time - anymore - to ship small orders.
"Mouthpieces and mouthpiece parts" is about as small as I can be, for the time being.

I've sent some little stuff along with larger orders...

We're really not a parts supply place, and haven't ever been one.
The parts that we buy/scrounge are needed here to repair things that we sell or repair...and (well...) for the rarely-executed blokeproject®.

If you can figure out the thickness of material needed under your top valve caps and the thickness of material needed under your finger buttons, those Besson synthetics (excellent, in my view), are 1/8" thick, which - btw - is the same as 3mm thick.

Many valve stems are 6mm in diameter, which is LESS THAN 1/4"...

3mm (1/8"...the BESSON THICKNESS) is about the THINNEST valve washers that any manufacturers use...

...so if you need 3-1/2mm, 4mm, 6mm (or whatever)...

...If you find some metric-thickness (metal/plastic/ceramic/whatever) washers on the mcmaster.com website that are .5mm thick, 1mm thick, etc., with a 6mm or 1/4" hole, and not larger in outer diameter than your piston, you can buy those Besson washers online and shim them to your required thicknesses with specific-thickness washers to the required thickness.

If you need to convert inches to mm or mm to inches, just google "mm to in" or "in to mm".
bloke

Return to TubeNet Sponsors