M&M New 10000 in Concerts

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
tubamlb
bugler
bugler

M&M New 10000 in Concerts

Post by tubamlb »

To answer questions, how does the New M&M 10000 Tuba perform in Concert,

Played with the U of M Concert Band, Garry Greene ,Conductor , He gave the Tuba a AAA1 for tone and Looks

Played with The Sunrise Pops Orchestra, Peter Graves , Conductor another AAA1 Comment on performance and looks

Played Berlioz Symphony Fantastic with The Broward Symphony Orchestra ,Zoe Zeniodi. Contuctor ,and other pieces , Trombone section commented on the wonderful tone
The Conductor ZZ came to the section to check out the Tuba

On The Way to Beijing to chek out Instruments under development, Then will be at The Music Trade Fair in Shanghi

Thank you
M&M
Michael
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Re: M&M New 10000 in Concerts

Post by Lectron »

Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- Besson 992 -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
tubaguy9
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubaguy9 »

Sponsor section?
I think I might end up as a grumpy old man when I get old...
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

Post by sloan »

I think posts like this are useful. They definitely help me decide where I will do my shopping in the future.
Kenneth Sloan
Lingon
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lingon »

tubamlb wrote:...Played Berlioz Symphony Fantastic with The Broward Symphony Orchestra ,Zoe Zeniodi. Contuctor ,and other pieces , Trombone section commented on the wonderful tone...
Hmmm, just some thoughts. Is not the 10000 a very large BBb tuba or have I missed something?
Anyway, good to hear that the tone of the instrument is wonderful. But, I have to wonder a bit about if it is common practice to use a large BBb tuba for Symphonie Fantastique?! Last time we played it the tuba players used one old Kruspe 4v F and one old Ahlberg & Ohlsson 5v F. The sound of the tuba section was marvelous and a perfect fit for the music together with the small bore trombones used. I mean it is Berlioz?! Otoh, common practice may vary...
John Lingesjo
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Back in the dark ages - when I was young - Jake and co, plus many others used large BBb or CC tubas to great effect. "Performance practice" also used to be somewhat more localised than it now is - by my observations.
Free to tuba: good home
Lingon
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lingon »

Ken Herrick wrote:...Back in the dark ages...
Hehe, yes I know about the time and those days long ago, however now the dark ages are coming to us that were young back then... But, is it common practice today to use large BBb tubas for the Fantastique in for example the US, or is it something special for just the instrument this thread is about?
John Lingesjo
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

A bit over ten years ago I had a long chat with Harvey over the phone.He commented that he could not understand why younger players had such a fixation about having so many instruments, especially F tubas which many still sounded crappy on when if they would settle down and really MASTER ONE they might become far better players, PERIOD. As he put it, "I did everything on 1 tuba." and for those who never heard him live in a variety of situations, relying only on recordings, he did EVERYTHING beautifully.
Free to tuba: good home
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Amen! Ed
The Singing Whale
Lingon
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lingon »

Ken Herrick wrote:...He commented that he could not understand why younger players had such a fixation about having so many instruments...
...MASTER ONE...
Yes I know, I heard him live, talked and played with him too. Absolutely great playing, and also a very wise comment. At that time there were also many persons that used one horn for everything which was/is fine. I think a (young) player's development should start with concentrating on one horn so that the person would master the instrument very well before even thinking of using other horns. I agree in that there now more than ever is a tendency that some people think that If they only have a new horn with another size or tuning then every problem will be solved. That of course is not so. But when you are at a certain level of playing then it is a possible way to go even further and use other size horns for getting access to a larger palette of sounds or colors of sound which let you be even more flexible.

However what I am (very) sceptical to is to use such a large horn for Berlioz. To use that as a selling argument may or may not show a real knowledge about what the job is about depending on the common localized practice. Therefore my question about what is used in the US. I believe in using the right tool for the job. If the argument had been for example about Prokoffiev Romeo & Julia, then I would not have anything to say, but Berlioz...
John Lingesjo
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Lingon wrote:
Ken Herrick wrote:...Back in the dark ages...
Hehe, yes I know about the time and those days long ago, however now the dark ages are coming to us that were young back then... But, is it common practice today to use large BBb tubas for the Fantastique in for example the US, or is it something special for just the instrument this thread is about?
I think it is just something special about the originator of this thread. Every live version I have ever seen had F tubas. Also, most youtube versions (from the past 15 years) show two F tubas. Some orchestras only use one Tuba.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Lingon wrote: However what I am (very) skeptical to is to use such a large horn for Berlioz. To use that as a selling argument may or may not show a real knowledge about what the job is about depending on the common localized practice. Therefore my question about what is used in the US. I believe in using the right tool for the job. If the argument had been for example about Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet, then I would not have anything to say, but Berlioz...
I think most people on this board would agree with you. Berlioz, Ravel, Verdi, Mahler, etc, all wrote for different instruments. (Ophicleide, French C, Cimbasso, Bass or Contrabass tuba)

It would be foolish to ask one musician to own and master all Five, but two sounds like a reasonable compromise. (i.e using Bass for the higher stuff and Contrabass for the lower.)
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb