This is the best B-flat tuba that I had ever played...

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

This is the best B-flat tuba that I had ever played...

Post by Wyvern »

There are some horns we sell which feedback is that they play as well, or even better than expensive brands costing a lot, lot more. Such instruments as the Mahler CC, Champion Eb, Dolce Euphonium and Cimbasso. Another in that category is the Luzern BBb tuba which is even better since Wessex added 5th valve and opened out the piping. It has been improved still further recently with single direction valves, gold brass bell and screw adjustments on back valve caps to reduce slack and quieten the valves - with beautiful engraving to improve appearance further.

More than one customer has commented "This is the best B-flat tuba that I had ever played" and we have just received customer review from respected TubeNeter which I quote (with their permission) in entirety;
I am very happy with the new Luzern 5v.

I have already decided to use it for most of my performances this year.

The tuning is spot on just like the old 4v version. It actually took some getting used to because I realize how much compensating I am doing on my other horns just to keep things in tune. It’s very nice not to have to worry about that with the Luzern and I can really relax and just focus on the beauty of the sound.

The sound is very dark and dense which means that it very happily fits the idea of what most people think a 5/4 should sound like. This compact horn is a great fit for orchestra for this reason. The darkness has a fog and focus that makes it unique. My trombone section has no problems tuning down to it and they are very happy with the “largeness” of the platform that they are working on in our ensemble sound.

The build on the machine is very good as well. Very solid. I think there may be some oversight needed at the factory in terms of assembling the larger bows since mine has a little bit of warping in it, but it’s no real problem for me. I get the feeling they are maybe forcing things a little bit. The valve construction is excellent and with some time will relax and loosen up under the fingers. The linkages feel very solid.

I am staggered by how easy the high range is on this horn. I can get up to the F above the staff with (unbelievably) no problems in expressiveness or TUNING. I can even get a convincing Bydlo out on this horn without having to resort to a outlandish mouthpiece. Very nice perk and somewhat unexpected.

But here is the real surprise. This horn has an very facile low register that scales up in volume very nicely to support even an orchestra. With a funneled mouthpiece I can even get the fabled “burn” one might expect from a MW Thor. At one point I was looking at a Thor or Tuono but now I do not need to consider spending the $15K. I really think the ease and response of the low register is being kept a secret and I cannot imagine why.

The horn itself is very nicely set up in terms of layout and very easy to hold in any stage situation. I use a black rubber drawer liner to keep the horn from slipping but it really is optional for this horn. Reaching slides is easy though often unnecessary. I also really like that you can mostly clear the horn of water with a single spit valve that is already in the right position to empty when the horn is upright in playing position. A quick empty is very easy. I am still figuring out how to easily pick up and carry the horn (on and off stage, stage bows, etc) but I am sure I will figure that out as well.

I am happy to report that the low mid register bump from Bb to B natural has smoothed out considerably. It is still there but the valve transition is much better and the bump can be defeated with a shift in the airstream on C and B natural (downward). After only a week of playing I have mostly incorporated that change.

If I were to change anything I might consider experimenting with a removable leadpipe in a medium and larger bore. Jonathan will know exactly what I mean by this since he is a long time player of a Culbertson Neptune. I really liked that feature in my Neptune. The Luzern is just about all I need right now but it would be nice to have some options in terms of the leadpipe.

Congratulations on this improvement and creating a truly mature offering to the tuba community.

And of course all of my thanks for your excellent service for me personally.

The quality will in future improve still further as from August shipment, every instrument is being professionally play tested and inspected at factory before accepting - and we will not accept anything which we believe not satisfactory for our customers. The factory appreciate this with lacquer/plating being stripped from a whole batch of euphonium to re-do as they were not up to Wessex standards...