New Dillon Music/Olka CB2 mouthpiece release.

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

New Dillon Music/Olka CB2 mouthpiece release.

Post by Chris Olka »

Hey guys and gals, I know this should probably go in the sponsors forum as well, but wanted to give you all a heads up on another mouthpiece I designed for Dillon Music. Steve is a TubeNet sponsor but is jammed getting ready for the Army Band Conference this week so I'm posting it here. Admins, please let me know if I'm screwing up...sorry if I am.

Anyway,a quick youtube video is posted if you're interested. Wish I could be at the Conference....but...gotta gig....

video link:
http://youtu.be/s2SvmEicxcY" target="_blank

Hope you enjoy!
Cheers!
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler

Re: New Dillon Music/Olka CB2 mouthpiece release.

Post by Musical_Eagle »

Hi Chris,

Will the CB1 ever be re-released? I was planning on trying to get one but I just got slammed with classes this semester and I didn't have time to order one and test one out because it was the type of mouthpiece that I was actually looking for.

Thanks!
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Chris Olka »

I have hopes that it will be returned to production in limited quantities after we've gotten a few more models into the product line. It was quite popular among players looking for maximum tone production. I've got a few improvements in mind for it that I think would make it even better.

If you really want one, make sure to post that on Dillon Music's Facebook page and email the guys there. Customer feedback is always helpful. Positive AND negative.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Cheers
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
Colelmore
bugler
bugler

Post by Colelmore »

I have been playing on a chris olka cb2 since about march/ april of last year. I am a sophomore in high school that has been playing since 6th grade. I use the american shank model on my miraphone 186 from 1973 that my school has loaned me. Using it i went to texas state solo and ensemble and got a 2 on my solo which was Air and Burree by Bach. The next thing that i used it for was that i had a solo in our marching show last year and really enjoyed using it for it and my band directors loved the tone that i had with it compared to the bach 24aw that i also use as a marching practice mouthpiece. The next thing is that i made region band in Texas region 20 north and was one chair from advancing to pre-area. The next thing is now i am practicing to go to uil solo and ensemble to qualify for state this year. This year i am playing movement 1 of Edward Gregson's Tuba Concerto. I really love this mouthpiece. I like how large the cup is allowing for a really good low register. Using it does make it slightly harder to reach the high notes than with the 24aw in the gregson but the tone is totally worth it. I am planning on buying another one to use for concert only and let my current one be resigned for marching duty since i have already dropped it once or twice. The reason why i want to do that is because my private lesson teacher does not like me switching between different size mouthpieces since you don't get as comfortable with one or the other. I believe that this mouthpiece has been one of the keys to the success in tuba that i have had recently. :tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Is this a re-release of the CB2, or a new improved version?
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Chris Olka »

So glad to hear you're liking the mouthpiece! I worked really hard to design something that would appeal to a large range of players and abilities. While the CB2 is not like the classic Conn Helleberg, I was hoping to hit that similar "sweet spot" that did most everything well while making a great tone.

The CB2 is going to be a regular production model and should be readily available at Dillon Music. I hope to have more models forthcoming but have been preoccupied with holding down both Seattle and Cincinnati Symphony positions. I am currently in the design process of a bass tuba model as well...while trying to stay married!

Thanks for the positive feedback and good luck in your studies.
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
Colelmore
bugler
bugler

Post by Colelmore »

I have continued using this mouthpiece and I still enjoy it. I enjoy it so much that I bought a second one for concert band so I could relegate the older one to marching band duty. Using this mouthpiece at the state solo and ensemble contest I played the 1st mvmt of the gregson tuba concerto and got a 1. Next I also qualified for area receiving 3rd chair in my region. I am right now preparing the lebedev concerto in one movement for state solo and ensemble this year. I recently bought a pt 50 mouthpiece and used it for a while but I found myself going back to the olka because it provided the same or better tone quality for me but a slightly easier for me to go to the extremes of my range on a BBb tuba (a above the staff, and pedal Bb). Right now I am trying to find a CC tuba to purchase as my first personally owned tuba to use for college auditions and throughout college. I am looking forward to see what other models and or revisions that come out for this mouthpiece.