Excelsior developments

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Excelsior developments

Post by Wyvern »

I have been delighted with the prototype Excelsior - great intonation, tone and ergonomics. However have found when trying to play at maximum volume with band it can be hard work. I suspected this was down to the leadpipe, so we have now redesigned to optimise the tuba. The in the pipe tuning slide has been halfed in length to minimise cylindrical tubing, with the taper and profile of whole leadpipe evened out together with smoother bends.

Andy Loree and myself tried out Excelsior with updated lead pipe at factory last week - and that has definitely done the trick. It now plays exactly as I wanted to make what I believe to be the best compensated BBb tuba available.

Unfortunately the redesign has slowed production, so the tuba will not now be out until August, but we think worth the delay to get it entirely right.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Excelsior developments

Post by Wyvern »

Joe, I don't mind you posting. I only wish non-sponsors could post replies in this forum, so there could be more dialog.

I am really pleased (like a new dad!) of this tuba. Already getting interest from the British military, who of course march with tubas.