AVAILABLE...eventually Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

AVAILABLE...eventually

Postby bloke » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:50 pm

This NEW nearly weightless piston stem (see picture on right: below) is from a prototype set that I've been testing and have not yet judged as "ready for prime time". The production version will be opaque black. (The prototypes are transparent, which allowed me to actually see what's going on, integrity-wise, with the inside threads.)

My ultralight/ultra-strong finger button...you've seen before.

Check out the weight difference in the stem/button combo comparing oem vs. Sellmansberger:

nearly 3/4 oz. DIFFERENCE :!: :shock:

:arrow: additionally...IF you combine this Sellmansberger set with a (ALSO lighter than oem, and GREAT-playing) MAW piston, the static weight of the piston, stem, and button (compared to 4.4 oz. Markneukirchen oem) is ONLY 3.1 oz. That's a 30% reduction in static weight...but these assemblies MOVE, so imagine the reduction in (as golfers refer to it as) "swingweight". 8) :tuba:

A Yamaha baritone horn valve spring is PLENTY strong enough to drive this assembly. :D

AVAILABLE SOON to fit "big valve" Markneukirchen-made (again: and MAW) and Waldkraiburg-made.
(You would need to specify whether your tuba is a "big valve" B&S/M-W/PT/VMI or a Miraphone).

You won't need to ask:
We'll announce when we are ready to accept orders, and we will also reveal pricing (for the new ultralight Sellmansberger valve stems) at that time.

ultralight stem & button set for B&S or Miraphone.JPG
Last edited by bloke on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: AVAILABLE VERY SOON !!!

Postby bloke » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:37 pm

A logical combination purchase might be

- a set of lightweight stems
- a set of lightweight buttons
- a set of light-tension springs

...and we'll price that out as a package.
bloke

Postby bloke » Tue May 05, 2015 4:47 pm

OK...

We're coming along with these...

Here is a stem in black Lexan. These will sport (as can be seen in this picture) a fairly long stainless steel insert in the bottom (still weighs virtually the same) to add strength and discourage breakage.

Last edited by bloke on Tue May 05, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke

Postby bloke » Tue May 05, 2015 10:01 pm

bloke

Postby bloke » Fri May 08, 2015 1:55 pm

coming along...

...will test for another week or so, and then announce a price for a set of four.

Lexan valve stems pile.JPG
bloke

Postby bloke » Tue May 12, 2015 12:26 am

To answer a question asked by two or three so far...

The only way these ultralight Lexan stems will fit Wisemann 900 tubas would be to do the following:

Rid yourself of the Yamaha-style top-mounted guide (...and small metal washer as well, obviously), drill-and-tap a hole (M3 X .5 thread) on the side of the piston (like B&S) in the appropriate spot, and install (and trim-to-fit as necessary) a B&S-style nylon valve guide.

Once done, these Lexan stems should work with a Wisemann 900 tuba...as long as you add 3mm of washer material (to your existing 3mm washer) underneath the valve cap.

Oh...and all of this is completely reversible with the Wisemann 900...except, of course, you would still have the small holes drilled-and-tapped on the sides of the pistons.

fwiw (except that it should really be done by someone with steady hands), I don't view this as any big deal...and - were I a Wisemann 900 owner - I would do this (myself, obviously) in a heartbeat.
bloke

Postby bloke » Thu May 14, 2015 6:47 pm

Richard Murrow, Professor of Tuba at Texas Christian University and Miraphone tuba Artist/Clinician/Design Consultant, is our very first customer (perhaps qualifies as a "field tester"...??) for our combination ultralight valve stems and our (already introduced) ultralight finger buttons.

Here's Richard's Miraphone Petrushka F tuba:

Murrow Miraphone1.jpg
Murrow Miraphone1.jpg (77.68 KiB) Viewed 6001 times

btw, These user-install. I dunno what Richard used, but (if the o.e.m. brass stems are tight) the super-low-tech "pliers-and-a-rag" method should work.
bloke

Postby bloke » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:10 pm

I'm back to the drawing board, and have developed a HOLLOW brass stem (c. 1/2 the weight of the factory solid stem).
I previously posted a picture of one that I made myself by hand, and here's the one of the FIRST machine-made ones
(mostly machine-made with a couple of hand operations required).
(unlacquered brass matte finish) next to a factory stem.

We're still not quite ready to produce, as we're working on production techniques that will maximize speed of manufacturing, minimize weight, and maximize strength...

...but I'm still workin' on it...

bloke "heavier than the Lexan version, but MUCH stronger than Lexan, and still half the weight of the oem stems"

stem vs. stem.JPG
bloke

Postby thevillagetuba » Thu May 05, 2016 5:03 pm

Now that anyone can post in the sponsor section...

How goes the research and production of these, Bloke? Any news/updates?
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Fri May 06, 2016 12:11 am

thevillagetuba wrote:Now that anyone can post in the sponsor section...

How goes the research and production of these, Bloke? Any news/updates?

I've spent (really) about $1000 on this microscopic little project so far (and that's with those helping me giving me "brother-in-law" pricing on design prototyping and various experimental versions...plus materials...plus paying myself nothing, obviously)...so - when they finally are released - it will be quite a while before I break even on this.

There IS NOW a viable prototype which IS quite strong, IS really lightweight (lighter than the one in the most recent picture - above), solid one-piece metal (brass), looks "wild" (cool, actually 8) ...think of something that someone would really like to ban... :?: :arrow: :idea: ), and can be completely machine-made (no intermediate steps that require brazing...blah-blah-blah). This DID require, though, that the lightweight buttons and lightweight stems be proprietary to each other. In other words, out buttons will no longer fit Miraphone/Buffet/et al stems, BUT our stem-button combo WILL fit most of these European production tubas.

Due to
- the "moat" around the outside of a Miraphone valve cap, AND
- the particularly skinny bumper washer called for under a Buffet tuba button

We're probably going to make the stems 1/8" taller (requiring an extra 1/8" of bumper washer underneath the button).

This will raise the button up HIGHER (to help clear the "moat" on Miraphone valve caps in the down position), AND will allow for a thicker bumper washer (and thus quieter action) with the Buffet valves.

I WISH I could show the stem to you (again very cool-looking... "masculine" actually :twisted: ), but I'm just not going to do that until they are in production. The prototype IS now in the right hands, but in line behind other projects. :(

:arrow: I'm REALLY eager to get them out there...just in case you might be wondering whether I've lost interest. The answer to that is am emphatic NO. :tuba:

Thanks for your interest, and your question.
bloke

Re: AVAILABLE SOON !!!

Postby bloke » Fri May 06, 2016 9:32 pm

' just received some rotate-able CAD drawings tonight. 8) :shock:

very lightweight !
The brass stem AND stainless steel button are VERY strong and TOGETHER weigh about 1/3 LESS THAN a compact disc.

#encouraged
#excited
bloke

Postby thevillagetuba » Fri May 06, 2016 9:48 pm

[quote="bloke"]' just received some rotate-able CAD drawings tonight. 8) :shock:

very lightweight !
The brass stem AND stainless steel button are VERY strong and TOGETHER weigh about 1/3 LESS THAN a compact disc.

[color=#0000FF][b]#encouraged[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]#excited[/b][/color] [/quote]

That is amazing! Thank you for your previous response and I will be eagerly waiting more good news on these!
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Sun May 08, 2016 11:12 pm

oh...

...and MORE design work has been done:

The THREADS on OUR buttons will NOT (after all) be proprietary to our lightweight stems, and WILL CONTINUE TO FIT oem stems !!!
bloke

Postby shawnv » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Is there any update on the development of these buttons and stems. I'm very interested in buying a set of both for my MAW valves.
shawnv
lurker
lurker

Postby bloke » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:17 pm

There has been a great deal of money and effort that has gone into streamlining production of the "mainline" items.
You may have noticed that I nearly always have most all of the mouthpiece parts in stock.
These stems and button (as much as I'd love to have them right now to sell, because they offer ~amazingly~ less effort when depressing pistons) are somewhat parenthetical.
I wish that they were already available, and certainly wish they had been available long ago.
A handful of people have seen the prototype valve stems, and those who have immediately wanted them (not only featherweight, but very cool-looking...somewhat "militaristic" in their appearance, if you can believe that something as simple as a valve stem could actually sport a style")...and no, I'm not posting a picture.

Here (pictured below) is the reason why I will NEVER market an aluminum valve stem or finger button:
I'm not going to make any remarks about where this (production) part originated, but let's just say that our stems (once in production) are a quantum leap ahead of this, as far as "resistance to breakage" is concerned...and - hey - ours are just as currently-in-stock as are these. :roll: )

bloke

Re: AVAILABLE...eventually

Postby k001k47 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:53 am

k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Michael Bush » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:21 pm

bloke wrote:A handful of people have seen the prototype valve stems, and those who have immediately wanted them (not only featherweight, but very cool-looking...somewhat "militaristic" in their appearance, if you can believe that something as simple as a valve stem could actually sport a style")...and no, I'm not posting a picture.

They are very cool looking. Even though I'm not a good enough player to be held back by the weight of the pistons, still less of the stems, they are interesting enough to put on a horn just for the cool factor.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Postby bloke » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:05 pm

Michael Bush wrote:
bloke wrote:A handful of people have seen the prototype valve stems, and those who have immediately wanted them (not only featherweight, but very cool-looking...somewhat "militaristic" in their appearance, if you can believe that something as simple as a valve stem could actually sport a style")...and no, I'm not posting a picture.

They are very cool looking. Even though I'm not a good enough player to be held back by the weight of the pistons, still less of the stems, they are interesting enough to put on a horn just for the cool factor.

thnx :)
bloke

Postby Lectron » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Another little thingy, besides moving mass.

If on front action, the weight of the stem/button will add more force valve->housing on top of the valve than the bottom, making a poorer "slide/valve action"
So in addition to having less moving mass one also gets a pure mechanical upgrade on how the system works.

(god this is so not my native language)
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:01 pm

IF...

...I could have had fewer-than-1000 stems and fewer-than-1000 buttons manufactured (considerable dough...I have that dough, but better things to do with it), I would have followed through with this project.

I'm enjoying my own a great deal.
bloke

Return to TubeNet Sponsors