New Wessex TE465 Gnagey Eb tuba

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

New Wessex TE465 Gnagey Eb tuba

Post by Wyvern »

New Wessex TE465 Gnagey Eb tuba is now on websites and we are taking pre-orders against the first batch, expected in June.

USA - http://www.wessex-tubas.com/product/te465-gnagey/
UK - http://www.wessex-tubas.co.uk/product/te465-gnagey/
Australia - http://www.wessexbrass.com.au/#!product ... fac6ced871

The Gnagey will be one of the tubas Wessex will be exhibiting at the US Army workshop next week. Do come and give it a try - I am sure you will agree it is an amazingly good tuba. Another original design from Wessex of which we are very proud!

bobn
bugler
bugler

Re: New Wessex TE465 Gnagey Eb tuba

Post by bobn »

Hi Jonathan,

Can you compare and contrast the new Gnagey and Danube Eb tubas for me? How might each work in brass quintet and as a do it all tuba? Also, how do they compare in low and high registers.

I'm considering replacing my Yamaha YEB321 (with added fifth valve) with one of these two.

Thanks,

Bob
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I play in a brass band with two Wessex Eb compensating tubas. They are similar, but one has the lead pipe lifted off the bell. I also notice that the Gnagey has the lead pipe attached to the bell. Could you explain the advantages of each position?

Second question, is there only one Gnagey prototype at this time, and will it be at ITEC?

Hup
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I would say the Gnagey has a broader tone than the Danube. The latter has more of a large F tone.

The off the bell lead pipe is to increase resonance, while on the bell lead-pipe more focuses tone. The effect is very subtle and a matter of preference. I personally prefer off the bell, while Sam Gnagey designed his Eb to have lead pipe on the bell.

Both the Gnagey and Danube Eb's will be at ITEC.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

The Danube certainly can be played in Brass band. No problem with projection.

But I would not use it as only tuba in concert band, as it would not provide contrabass tuba foundation to the band. As one of section, particularly in solo role will give definition and work fine.

Of course this all depends on player behind mouthpiece!
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

I've tried it, there is a big difference in focus between this and the compensator. Dense tighter sound, while the compensator is deep but has a broad frequency band and less directionality. Fascinating how leadpipe placement contributes, but also the Gnagey leadpipe is longer which could be the larger factor.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

yadent wrote:Hi Jonathan,

Couple of questions, is the Danube that was demonstrated at the Army Conference (the lacquered one) the same bell size and bore as future Danube production models,
The prototype exhibited at Army conference has smaller diameter bell than production model. Bore has not been changed.