Possible New Concert/Performance Tornister tuba

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

Which version of BBb tornister tuba would you prefer?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:26 am

I like the existing tornister tuba best
46%
I would be interested in tornister with forward facing bell
14%
I would be interested in tornister with larger upright bell
11%
Would never want tornister of any version
29%

Total votes: 28

Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Possible New Concert/Performance Tornister tuba

Post by Wyvern »

Wessex are considering making new version of our Mighty Midget BBb travel tuba with larger 12" bell to provide a broader tone above players head for concert/performance use - although that would negate its compactness for travelling, although the existing model would still be available for that purpose.

The new version would be about euphonium size.

I attach pictures of a couple of concept models and would be interested in feedback if there is any interest in such, and if so which version, upright bell or forward bell?

Your chance to steer new model of tuba!

Existing Mighty Midget

Bell Front Tornister

Large Upright bell tornister
Last edited by Wyvern on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Re: Possible New Concert/Performance Tornister tuba

Post by Rebel »

I like the upright bell like what you are showing. I was really impressed by the BBb Mighty Midget at the Tuba/Euphonium Workshop last month at Ft. Myer, VA. That was the first time I had played one of them, and although they are "baritone sized", they are a very real tuba in range, just smaller. Nice horn.
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Cool!! Sounds like a great opportunity to make some 1/4 tubas by assembling them the standard way (maybe even some F's and Eb's too?)! :mrgreen:

How are you fitting the extra length in?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

We can adjust tuning by means of varying lengths of leadpipe or/and main tuning slide. The BBb Midget and CC Gnome use different parts, so by use of some shorter Gnome parts we can get in tune with higher bell without upsetting intonation.

I am not keen on removable bell, as bell collars are heavy and we do not want to add appreciably to weight, as that is rather defeating the point of the small tuba.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

How much does it weigh now, and how much would it weigh with a bell collar?

The lightest tuba I've ever held was my old Cerveny 3/4 F tuba. I think it was just barely over 14 pounds, and for a tuba, that's extremely light. As this is designed for people who typically play something much larger, I think while it's good to be aware of weight, is it *really* a dealbreaker?

Not at all interested in any version of this instrument, but thought I'd chime in.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

The Tournister would lose the essence of the Tournister- the ability to put it in a backpack. That concise small package is what that horn is all about. If I was designing a tuba and wanted either the upright or forward bell of these versions, I would make the tubes of the body much larger to take advantage of the increased size because of the bell. Think a Piggy (CC or BBb) reduced in size by 1/3rd by shrinking the diameter of the tubes but not the length. Would it sell and would it sound any good? Don't know.
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

How 'bout a Gnome with a forward-facing bell? I think I'd be all over that.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

The primary purpose of a tornister Tuba is portability. Any of the other options compromises that attribute.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

opus37 wrote:The primary purpose of a tornister Tuba is portability. Any of the other options compromises that attribute.
It would not be tornister with larger bell - but just very small tuba.

The existing tornister would continue being available - they have a character all of their own!
:tuba:
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

I could never see myself owning more than one small tuba like this.

If there were kits to change it from one configuration to another via interchangeable bells/tuning slides/leadpipes, I *could* possibly see myself having one tuba and multiple kits.
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

Could you not try to engineer the bell collar down at the ferrule from the bottom bow? That might give a few options but not weigh so much as it'd be a smaller collar? (it would need an attachment from bell-to-top-bow obvs...
Dunno what you'd do about pitch variation. Leadpipe would screw up intonation I expect but you could look at main slides (maybe).
Peach
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pgym »

Peach wrote:Could you not try to engineer the bell collar down at the ferrule from the bottom bow? That might give a few options but not weigh so much as it'd be a smaller collar? (it would need an attachment from bell-to-top-bow obvs...
Kanstul offers an interchangeable bell comp euph that uses that exact setup.

Don't take legal advice from a lawyer on the Internet. I'm a lawyer but I'm not your lawyer.
Toobist
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Toobist »

Will these options be available on the C version? Also... If you need a home for any prototypes, lemme know.
Al Carter
Kitchener, Ontario
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Toobist wrote:Will these options be available on the C version?
No plans for such
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Removable recording bell. And since its removable leave option for upright. I'd buy one today!
Toobist
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Toobist »

kmorgancraw wrote:Removable recording bell. And since its removable leave option for upright. I'd buy one today!

Yes, that would be a great option. It opens up a can of worms regarding packaging/case/shipping, but if you can overcome that, I'd say that's the winner right there.
Al Carter
Kitchener, Ontario
tubasaz
bugler
bugler

Post by tubasaz »

Toobist wrote:
kmorgancraw wrote:Removable recording bell. And since its removable leave option for upright. I'd buy one today!

Yes, that would be a great option. It opens up a can of worms regarding packaging/case/shipping, but if you can overcome that, I'd say that's the winner right there.
Yup. Both Bells And five ( 5 !! ) valves, please ! Then that will be the Winner !! :tuba: :tuba:
Monzani BBb--Conn 20K--Benge 290--Soprano Sax