Upright Bells for Recording Basses!

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Upright Bells for Recording Basses!

Post by Lee Stofer »

Lee Stofer Music, Inc., through its affiliation with Kanstul Musical Instruments of Anaheim, California, is now offering replacement upright bells for Conn 2XJ/3XJ tubas and Martin Mammoth recording basses.

As Conn 2XJ/3XJ and Martin Mammoth fans know, original upright bells for these instruments have always been rare, and generally when I can purchase one now, either the price is very high or the bell requires major repairs, making the finished product very expensive.

When I received my first shipment of Kanstul tubas and euphoniums in January as a new dealer, I noticed that the bell of the CTU900/4B 5/4 BBb tuba was rather large, with a large throat and only moderate flare. Some quick measuring made me think that the upper portion of a Kanstul bell could possibly be fit into a male bell tenon, and become the new upright bell for some old recording bass out there. I conversed a number of times with National Sales Manager Charles Hargett, and sent them a Martin bell tenon ring. Last week I was told that they had already made a tenon to fit the Conn bell sockets and were prepared to make upright bells for old Conn tubas, and then Charles called me two days ago, saying that they had successfully duplicated the old Martin bell tenon ring and were ready to offer replacement Martin upright bells.

Starting April 4th, I will start taking orders for upright bells for the big old Conn and Martin tubas. If I get enough orders (over 10) in the initial order, I will get a price break that I'll pass on to the buyers. Otherwise, the bells are $1,100.00 in clear lacquer, and $1,300.00 in bright silver plate. Gold-tinted lacquer is available upon request, and for an additional charge, a satin-silver finish with silver trim or special engraving(or both) are available. These bells are fitted with the appropriate tenon and have a 21" bell rim diameter. So, quit just wishing that you can find an upright bell, and get a new, top-quality bell for your big vintage tuba!

Lee Stofer
Lee Stofer Music, Inc. Office (770) 603-6088 www.tubameister.com