Wessex Tubas - what would you like? Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby ATschetter » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 am

The resurrection was more aimed at Hirsbrunner. I just like Wilson's designs enough that I wouldn't mind a similar affordable option.
ATschetter
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:19 am

ATschetter wrote:The resurrection was more aimed at Hirsbrunner. I just like Wilson's designs enough that I wouldn't mind a similar affordable option.

making the point, as (though - please understand - I'm not criticizing your tastes in the least) you're in the minority, and the idea of knock-offs (yes?) is to clone those things popular to the majority, a plurality, or - at least - a statistically significant percentage
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Tom » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:41 pm

ATschetter wrote:The resurrection was more aimed at Hirsbrunner. I just like Wilson's designs enough that I wouldn't mind a similar affordable option.

You can still buy a "Hirsbrunner" tuba. Several years back Hirsbrunner sold their tuba tooling to Adams, who continues to build tubas of the Hirsbrunner design. There have even been reports of considerable improvements to the tubas since Adams has been manufacturing them.

And...Hirsbrunner designs are being copied. There is an HB-21 copy by Packer that is apparently pretty decent. Now we're going to have a Wessex "Yorkbrunner," which may not be a 100% direct copy (have been told "Nirschl with different leadpipe"), but isn't far off the mark either. EDIT: and there has for quite a few years now been a Hirsbrunner BBb rotary design that has been copied.

Wilson is still very much around, as already mentioned. If you want a less expensive Wilson you'll probably be waiting a long time - see bloke's post about things popular to the majority.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Previous

Return to TubeNet Sponsors