Wessex Tubas - what would you like? Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Bnich93 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am

I don't know if anyone else would like this, but I would love to see a five valve CC Helicon. Something for people who do their shedding on CC horns and then can pick up a sousaphone and play everything the same way for standing gigs.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Postby UncleBeer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:12 am

That's an option that's being considered, although ideally the 5th would be removeable since helicons are often used for strolling and the extra weight isn't always welcome.
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Bnich93 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:47 am

I think I would actually rather suck up the extra weight than have the added complication of the removeable 5th. Id say that the lower center of gravity of the helicon plus the weight of the fifth valve, and minus the weight of the tubing difference between CC and BBb would still make it no less comfortable than a BBb 4 valve sousaphone.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Postby Three Valves » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:13 pm

I too would like something that is more cumbersome, plays less in tune, and costs more!!

Uh, strike that...
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Bnich93 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Three Valves wrote:I too would like something that is more cumbersome, plays less in tune, and costs more!!

Uh, strike that...

Cost more is a given, the other two factors are impossible to know since the instrument is completely hypothetical at this moment, and probably will not exist since this is just a "what would you like" thread. I'm sure if the guys at Wessex decided they wanted to make an extremely ergonomic, perfect intonation horn of the above specifications they could probably pull it off at a high price point. But since it would be niche, it would have to aim for a lower price point and sacrifices have to be made.

Besides, my CC horn at the moment strikes all three of those boxes (yorkbrunner) and I still love it. To each his own.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Maybe they could simply copy Joe's Magical Buescher Bloke-o-Phone CC Helicon (for a nominal fee, of course)...
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby UncleBeer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Bnich93 wrote:Cost more is a given, the other two factors are impossible to know since the instrument is completely hypothetical at this moment, and probably will not exist since this is just a "what would you like" thread.

Not hypothetical at all. In fact, the prototype will most likely be built this coming week.

Bnich93 wrote:... perfect intonation ...

Puh-leeez. The equal temperament system is a compromise which the overtone system doesn't care about. NO brass instrument has "perfect intonation".
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Wyvern » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:39 pm

Doc wrote:Maybe they could simply copy Joe's Magical Buescher Bloke-o-Phone CC Helicon (for a nominal fee, of course)...

That was my first thought, but I rather think Joe is not interested in helping Wessex as he works for a competitor.

But the talented Wessex team with the huge resources of the factory, I am sure can design a CC helicon that will be as good, or better.
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby Mtrhed » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:25 am

I love 6/4 horns but lugging one to practice 3-4 time a weeks is a drag. The travel tubas have their place but don’t fit in well with an orchestra. People seem to hold Piggy’s in high regard and the used models that pop up for sale don’t last long. Maybe Wessex could make a modern piggy, something very compact with a bore >.800? The bigger the bore the better!
Lot’s of tubist here get nostalgic for the piston horns from the early 1900’s to 1920’s. I don’t think I’m alone in liking horns with huge bugles, large bores, and piston valves. Anything with these features that’s well made would sell here in the states. Maybe a satin silver finish option?
You mentioned to me that at one point Wessex had considered the reproduction of an over-the-shoulder horn. I always wanted one of these but they’re so rare and the original horn don’t play too well. I’m a one dimensional player and would need one in Bb. If I was closer to Dan Schultz’s shop I’d be bugging him to build me one of these. I’m also a fan of the King pit tubas but these also might not have enough market to warrant R&D and production.
I’ve never been to an ITEA conference before but am hoping to attend the conference in Washington this next month. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to meet you and discuss the Wessex line more.
My hat is off to you and Wessex for trying to help the Chinese horn industry pull themselves up by their bootstraps. They’ve come along way in the last 10 years.
Mtrhed
bugler
bugler

Postby Mark Finley » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:50 am

The Anton is very piggy like. I doubt they would release anything closer than that
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Tubaing » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:25 pm

There doesn't seem to be a good workhorse high school tuba available from Wessex. A 4 valve, piston, front action, 4/4... perhaps around $2,000. As a band director, I would be ordering these.
Tubaing
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:31 pm

Tubaing wrote:There doesn't seem to be a good workhorse high school tuba available from Wessex. A 4 valve, piston, front action, 4/4... perhaps around $2,000. As a band director, I would be ordering these.

I don't think there is a horn out there that matched that description, from anyone. If there is, It's probably really crappy at that price point.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Wyvern » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Tubaing wrote:There doesn't seem to be a good workhorse high school tuba available from Wessex. A 4 valve, piston, front action, 4/4... perhaps around $2,000. As a band director, I would be ordering these.

There will very shortly be our TB484 Dragon available for $2,825 (in lacquer). These will start arriving June, the first was just quality assured at factory this week. Not on website yet, as I have none in UK yet to photograph.
Attachments
CC805602-1595-46D5-8CAC-7DD7FD038A86.jpeg
CC805602-1595-46D5-8CAC-7DD7FD038A86.jpeg (27.13 KiB) Viewed 1129 times

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby Bob Kolada » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:59 am

Jonathan, how does that differ from this?

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/tu ... erna-tb480
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Wyvern » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:27 am

Bob Kolada wrote:Jonathan, how does that differ from this?

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/tu ... erna-tb480" target="_blank

The 4-valve version produced at lower price for school market

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Postby KiltieTuba » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:47 am

What are you doing with that EEb? Kind of hoping it might be improved upon.
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Tubaing » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Wyvern wrote:

There will very shortly be our TB484 Dragon available for $2,825 (in lacquer). These will start arriving June, the first was just quality assured at factory this week. Not on website yet, as I have none in UK yet to photograph.

Thank you! Will that include a hard case?
Tubaing
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Three Valves » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Wyvern wrote:There will very shortly be our TB484 Dragon available for $2,825 (in lacquer). These will start arriving June, the first was just quality assured at factory this week. Not on website yet, as I have none in UK yet to photograph.

Cool.

When I first heard of Wessex I was interested in a Copy/Clone you called the "Ohio" or some such but it was not considered favorably.

I'm glad you will soon have an alternative that fills the void!!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Wyvern » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Tubaing wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Thank you! Will that include a hard case?

Yes, a hard latched wheeled case

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Postby Ken Crawford » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:30 pm

Any update on the Piston F? Prototype photos?
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet Sponsors