TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by arpthark »

UncleBeer wrote:
bort wrote:BMB is made in China.
Yeah, and their BBb is a winner. Unfortunately, the CC isn't great IMHO. Definitely room in the market for a good CC piston BAT version.
I remember now playing on Dick Barth's prototype(?) CC at Midwest in 2012. I wasn't a fan of the dependent fifth valve. I think you are definitely right that there is a place for a well-playing York/Holton-style 6/4 CC at a low price point.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

Michael Bush wrote:
58mark wrote:There already is a very nice chinese 621 CC copy. A member of this forum owns one, and as far as I know he's very happy with it. They are hard to find in America, so even Getting wessex to distribute them would be a nice accomplishment
I've got one on order that will be here in a few weeks. Even though he doesn't stock them or put them on the Mack Brass web site, Tom McGrady got it for me.
Just thinking about this again... It may be that it would be worthwhile to offer these Baltimore Brass-style as something that is available in ## days rather than as "in stock". Clearly there is some interest, but even the price-only dealers in Wisconsin and Florida have apparently found that the interest is not so widespread that they keep them on hand, as they did do at one time.
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaport »

Would love to see a nice piston F. Couldn't go wrong with cloning the Yama 822.

Otherwise, another large BBb compensator for brass band. Something different than the excelsior, more on the lines of a Besson or Yama Yeo.

The new Gnagey Eb is your best I've played yet, for a great price. Keep up the great work!
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

Three Valves wrote:
AnorakHorn wrote:
Another I would like to see is a small front action piston CC/BBb tuba. Something similar to the Yamaha 621 style instruments, with a small 15" or alike bell.
In BBb, that's just what I'm looking for.

One in BBb would be great!!!
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Compensated BBb. The Excelsior looked cool but...round 2? Maybe a traditional-looking body, but 3+2 would be an interesting alternative.

4v Eb sousaphone was great idea...but you chose the wrong one, King full circle with the good aspects of Reynolds is the better option. More of large 4/4 size than a monster Eb. Unless you already tamed the monster Eb tendencies in your 28k copy.

Conn 14k. Maybe a 4v 36k.

Make upright bells for old American tubas! King, Conn, Reynolds, maybe the other random recording bell tubas too.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

#1. Valve clusters & parts.

#2. Copy a York 712.
(And why not a 92, & use the same valves as the 712 copy)
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

If you are at ITEC then do come and say hello at the Wessex booth and feel free to give me your thoughts. We will be exhibiting Tuesday to Saturday.
toakstertuba
bugler
bugler

Post by toakstertuba »

I would love to buy a large Rotary cc that's not a miraphone copy but perhaps something like a Rudy...
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

sweaty wrote:6/4 BBb designed by Sam Gnagey.
I'll second that idea!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52461&p=451794&hili ... ey#p451794

(Although, I would make it available with an optional detachable bell-front)

-T. J.
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

T. J. Ricer wrote:
sweaty wrote:6/4 BBb designed by Sam Gnagey.
I'll second that idea!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52461&p=451794&hili ... ey#p451794

(Although, I would make it available with an optional detachable bell-front)

-T. J.
+ 1
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Neptune wrote:I would be pleased to hear (particularly from repair techs) about suggested quality improvements, as I am (I believe) well placed to get implemented. But I would prefer those by email or PM as I would rather this thread did not turn into a series of grips about quality issues.....
Jonathan... being a tuba player yourself you should fully understand what a robust tuba is all about. You've played some of the quality German tubas.

You should be able to provide something that I would be willing to endorse.

Quit messing with the 'new models' and perfect something that's already in production. I would prefer to see the internal machine work to at least equal what used to come out of Elkhart.

Cheesy linkages can be replaced by better components. But... rotors and pistons that lack a microfinish can't be helped.

Someone in this thread suggested that WESSEX produce a 5/4 CC or BBb Rudolf Meinl copy. I would welcome that but NOT with the internal finish that's on the current products.
Last edited by Dan Schultz on Fri May 13, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Yep
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I would also vote for a CSO style 6\4 or a 5\4 in the same design. A rotary tenor tuba with 5 valves would also be nice to see, with Alexander, Miraphone, and Cerveny being the only ones I've seen making these tenor tubas, Wessex might just find a niche.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Dan, We already are working on perfecting the finishing, inside and out. There have been huge strides made in the last couple years since I have been going quarterly to China and there is major drive to perfect the job this year. I guess you being an instrument repairer tend to see Chinese instruments of the past and not the latest production, so don't appreciate the advances.

If you are at ITEC, just show me on our display instruments where there should be manufacturing improvements. I will then take that knowledge to China when I visit only one week later and see what I can do.

I do appreciate yours and others expert feedback!
Last edited by Wyvern on Sat May 14, 2016 8:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Neptune wrote:...... I guess you being an instrument repairer tend to see Chinese instruments of the past and not the latest production, so don't appreciate the advances....
Granted that there has been improvement. However... I HAVE seen some recent examples that had very poor machine work. I appreciate your efforts. Keep it up.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

58mark wrote:The tuba I bought from you in November Jonathan, would you consider that past quality or present? What improvements have you made since then?
That was past quality Mark, as we had in stock as demo instrument for at least one year when you bought.

We have made improvements in areas of;

Finishing and polishing
Valve alignment, fit and and finish (we now never accept any with excess valve noise and anything but smooth action)
Valve threads
Slide alignment
Strengthening of valve levers
Solder joints (internal check)
Bell engraving

Whenever any issue comes to light, we discuss with production manager the next visit and agree improvement plan. If issue is then found again on future production, we will not accept until corrected. On one occasion I rejected 24 tubas. There has never been that issue again! I raise the benchmark of acceptability with every quality inspection.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Dan Schultz wrote:However... I HAVE seen some recent examples that had very poor machine work.
But were they Wessex? I cannot speak for improvements in other brands. They may even come from different factory - and even if the same factory, I don't know how many of our improvements get applied to other brands.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Neptune wrote:
Dan Schultz wrote:However... I HAVE seen some recent examples that had very poor machine work.
But were they Wessex? I cannot speak for improvements in other brands. They may even come from different factory - and even if the same factory, I don't know how many of our improvements get applied to other brands.
Yes... specifically one of the travel tubas. VERY poor machine work on the rotors, housings, and especially the fit of the rear bearing plates.

IF you blame 'old stock' that were made prior to 'upgrades' were made... you're not doing yourself or the brand any favors to continue to sell then even as 'B stock' or 'demo' instruments.

One thing that you did not include in the list in your last post is attention to the tolerances and fit of the rotor components. You can make stuff as pretty as you like but if the diameters on the rotors and housings aren't concentric... they horns will eventually cause problems.

I don't mean to be critical here, Jonathan. Just calling it like I see it and hoping to see some truly excellent examples of craftsmanship from WESSEX one of these days. You can do it if you continue to uphold your standards and keep the manufacturers feet in 'the fire'.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Question -- so what happens if quality does improve leaps and bounds for Wessex branded stuff? Does this improve the quality of everything else that comes out of the factory, or is it like "oh crap, Jonathan is coming, we'd better get it together!"
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Dan, I am surprised you had that problem with one of our travel tubas, as their valves are usually very good in my experience. Of course we usually quality check completed instrument and do not remove the rotary valves as part of check. I will look into this during visit and this should be well covered by our push for all staff to quality assure at every stage of construction.

Bort, Although my main concern is to improve Wessex quality, I rather think a number of the quality improvements will become 'normal practice'. The CEO really wants me to push quality, so I have the full backing of the factory management. Jim Langley is quite familiar with quality assurance practices at some leading western brands - so is knowledgable to advise on best practice.