Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by Cthuba »

Does Wessex have any updates or new models coming out. I really miss the updates
Gnagey 4/4

That which is dead can eternal lie and with many strange aeons even tubas will fly
-A Misquote from HP Lovecraft.
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

Cthuba wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:38 pm Does Wessex have any updates or new models coming out. I really miss the updates
According the the board stats Jonathan hasn't posted since Feb of 2021. I know Wessex is still in business and posting stuff on their website, but I have to believe the pandemic has hit them hard.
Rob. Just Rob.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

That, and J has got his own family and stuff. A little kid really turns life upside down. Especially when halfway across the world.

Not to mention, if sales are fine without J being active here, then why not chill out on the message boards!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I will clarify that everything is fine with Wessex Tubas. Like many businesses we were adversely affected by the pandemic to a certain extent, but the biggest challenge has been not being able to get to the factory to make new developments, and that is still the case today. My family with 2-year son has also rather distracted me - any parent with a young child will no doubt understand. Partly as a result, I have backed off somewhat from the business, leaving more to the team to keep things running.

So don’t fear, Wessex is still in full production and the quality is being well maintained by the workers at the factory we previously trained.

Jonathan Hodgetts
wagtuba23
bugler
bugler

Post by wagtuba23 »

Would love a Cerveny 693 Bb copy made by Wessex
Walter Gomes
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I have no updates at present. Everything came to an abrupt stop with Covid measures in China stopping us from visiting the factory and developing new models.

Now travel restrictions finishes on January 8th, I hope in 2023 we will be able to return and get back to developing new products. I have a few proposals on the draft board! :lol:
SethLegare
lurker
lurker

Post by SethLegare »

Since Wessex is probably the only company that might even momentary think about attempting this, I'll throw it out there.

I think it would be very cool to have a full double tuba (yeah it would be a bit heavy), where the fourth valve redirects air through a second set of full length tuning slides, French horn style. Ideally, this could be paired with a 5th thumb valve tuned to a major third in combination with the 1st, allowing 5-1, 5-3, and 5-2-3 to be very very close to perfectly in tune. This is, I believe, the only system that would be familiar and intuitive for current players, and offer good enough intonation that slide pulling would be very nearly eliminated. A second valve trigger, possibly even linked with the thumb valve, would allow even better intonation and useful alternates like 5-1-2.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

SethLegare wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:47 pm Since Wessex is probably the only company that might even momentary think about attempting this, I'll throw it out there.

I think it would be very cool to have a full double tuba (yeah it would be a bit heavy), where the fourth valve redirects air through a second set of full length tuning slides, French horn style. Ideally, this could be paired with a 5th thumb valve tuned to a major third in combination with the 1st, allowing 5-1, 5-3, and 5-2-3 to be very very close to perfectly in tune. This is, I believe, the only system that would be familiar and intuitive for current players, and offer good enough intonation that slide pulling would be very nearly eliminated. A second valve trigger, possibly even linked with the thumb valve, would allow even better intonation and useful alternates like 5-1-2.
I've also thought a bit about a double tuba. Something in Eb/CC, these keys are close enough that only 18-24 inches (estimated) of tubing is needed to change key.

Use a compensating valveset similar to the Besson 983, with the 4th valve changed out for another 3rd (or similar) this way the "change" valve to open up the "compensating loops" could be a rotary valve. This would allow each valve 1-4 to be the length needed for Eb, with a second shorter set of slides to bring the pitch down to CC), a player could still adjust their normal slides as they play on either side of the horn.

A 5th valve (double rotary) could be added to as well, keeping the "change valve" lever near the 1st slide or on the left hand side of the horn.

This is all theoretical at best, I know adding straight tubing can mess with harmonic series and the additional mass and bracing makes the nodes and antinodes funny.

BUT the theory if using Eb and CC. I THINK it's doable, simply for the fact that they are so close in length. This also comes woth another question, why do this? A large enough Eb can sound like a CC anyways...

Again just thinking "how would a double tuba be possible", this is what I come up with.
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Cthuba »

I’m not sure if this has already been said, but a tuba in the same vein as the Yamaha 661 would be cool to see.
Gnagey 4/4

That which is dead can eternal lie and with many strange aeons even tubas will fly
-A Misquote from HP Lovecraft.
SethLegare
lurker
lurker

Post by SethLegare »

I also think an F tuba inspired by the early Swedish and Danish Moritz types with a 10 or 11 inch bell and slender proportions would be a very interesting addition to your lineup of historical instruments. They have a tone unlike any tuba made today, to my ear like a better version of an ophicleide. Where they really shine and outclass pretty much everything made today is in the high register, and in how they blend with voices. I really wish I could buy a tuba like that, but they are all 80 to 180 years old.

The only change I would recommend would be the addition of the third valve, since they only have what corresponds to the modern 1 2 4 5 and 6.
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

Yamaha 821 Bobo in f and in CC

A modernized Marzan 5-valve CC
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher