Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by bort »

Ah, okay, got it. So basically like the Monette cases?

http://www.monette.net/product-page/d99 ... 13016f98f3" target="_blank
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

Yes! I was not aware Monette made that kind of case.

DB
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
LowBrassNYC
bugler
bugler

Post by LowBrassNYC »

I would absolutely love to see 4-valve bass trumpets in C and F. Some vendors are starting to have ones in C, but they lack an almost necessary tuning trigger.

A 6-valve cimbasso in F would also be really exciting!
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

On the topic of bass trumpets- one in C, and one in E flat, similar to the Alexander C bass trumpet, and the Thein E flat trumpet.
4 rotary valves and a tuning trigger for both!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

the elephant wrote: My idea would be to redesign the zipper cover with narrow, stitching-reinforced slots that allow the user to zip the pocket closed when the strap is both in or out. This would be easy to do, cost next to nothing, and would *really* improve this feature. I can provide you with drawings of this idea if you are interested. Very simple alteration - hugely improved bag.

So an adjustment to the pocket sizes (on bags of a size where this is practicable) and the ability to zip that monstrous pocket closed whether straps are deployed or not would make me willing to buy more of these and recommend them to my students. Right now they are god bags - for the price - but these alterations would make them good bags, period.

I know you simply purchase these from a ready-made place that puts your logo on them, but you have had success with Jin Bao in making alterations and improvements. Perhaps this company would listen to you, as well. I think the Chinese do not use these larger folders and do not think in terms of that size, but having a bag that causes you to carry everything in your hands is not good design. This nod to the US market would make them much more marketable.

Good luck. If you *do* get these changed made, please let me know. I will buy one of the first ones when they are available. Thanks!
Elephant, Please can you send me that design change for zip pocket, and I will see what I can do.

For the front pockets, I could get changed to just one large pocket instead of two which sounds like would be popular with those using US music folders.

The basic bag design may be off-the-shelf, but I can get any changes made for Wessex, exactly the same as with the tubas.
sousaphonehero
bugler
bugler

Post by sousaphonehero »

A helicon or standard-action BBb sousaphone would be a great addition to the Wessex lineup. (Especially with a nice wheeled case)
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

sousaphonehero wrote:A helicon or standard-action BBb sousaphone would be a great addition to the Wessex lineup. (Especially with a nice wheeled case)
Actually the standard action BBb sousaphone is available although not yet on website. We recently supplied three to a high school with this incredibly good feedback
We just this afternoon received, unpacked, and tested out our three new Wessex sousaphones and I am blown away. Of course, they look wonderful, but I expected that. What I didn't expect was for them to not only sound more like concert horns, but respond like them. Two of my sousa players (and myself) tested out the horns and were instantly giddy with excitement at the feel, response, and sound. On top of that, the thoughtfulness that went into the design of the case is nothing short of a godsend. From the box design (with casters!!!) to the split level support (so that the body will not damage the bell in the case) to the pull-down flap to keep it all secure in transit: this is absolutely fantastic. The addition of neck, bits, and a very nice mouthpiece is a lovely touch as well. We're going to put them through the paces this afternoon at rehearsal and this weekend on the road as we travel to an away game, and I'm pumped to show them off. I look forward to augmenting our inventory with more of these horns very soon.
The sousaphone will be added to the website, as soon as I have one in UK to photograph
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

How about a reasonably priced Wenger-like chair for the BBb sousaphone to go on??
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Post by cambrook »

How about something like the no-longer-availabe Tubassist?
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

We could call it ChinaYork. The Grand BBb doesn't seem too far off from that.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
sousaphonehero
bugler
bugler

Post by sousaphonehero »

I am completely pumped for the new BBb helicon. When was the last time a good piston helicon was commercially available?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

cambrook wrote:How about something like the no-longer-availabe Tubassist?
I have a Tubassist myself and have thought about re-introducing, but don't know if there are any patent implications. It is the sort of thing that may well be patented?
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

Well, since the potential holders of such a patent seem to have chosen not to exploit it themselves, they may be talked into letting You use it.
After all, that´s what part of this patent business is all about, right ?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

I do know that the man who used to make the Tubassist is deceased, which is no doubt why they are no longer available.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Actually Mark, Dr. Edward Mallett with help from Kevin Powers made a DB euph from a Willson 2975. I heard his recital at ITEC in 2002 at Greensboro, NC. Sounded pretty good too. Can't find much about it but here's a picture (see it front and center):

Just found a link to how he went about constructing it. He used a rotary valve for the 5th valve:
http://web.archive.org/web/200803131714 ... /euph.html

Picture of rear of horn:
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

A larger bore Valve Trombone with a slide attachment. The Valve Trombones currently made are mostly small bore in the .48x range with Yamaha, Wessex and Kanstul making .500 horns. Having some choices like the Olds, Reynolds, etc. in the .515-.525 range would be fantastic.
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Cthuba »

Affordable, professional music folders like this:Image
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Interesting ideas - thanks, keep them coming!

I am off to China again next week and know there will be at least two new horns waiting for me to try, one of which is completely different from anything currently available and should put smile on the face of euphonium players.

Look out for announcements later in December.
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

I'd like a 4 valve, front action version of the Boston BBb. Perhaps even a CC version.
Bore is .660

MedicineMan
lurker
lurker

Post by MedicineMan »

Have you considered offering a rotary version of the Wyvern?