Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by Wyvern »

You can hardly have failed to notice that Wessex Tubas has been bringing out new models of tuba and euphonium (as well as trombones and even cornet) at an unprecedented rate of more than one a month. Most of these are completely new models, or resurrections of classic ones of the past. This is thanks to a talented team of developers and very close relationship with what is probably the largest brass instrument factory there has ever been. There are more surprises on the way! :)

However what I would like to know is what you would really like made available? What would get your pulse racing?

Let's have your wishes... :idea:

:tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by bort »

Made in the UK? :)

Seems like kaiser BBb's are gaining popularity in the US, and were never unpopular in Europe. I'm not sure what your biggest rotary BBb is right now, but I'm sure something else could be done along those lines.
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by michael_glenn »

I certainly think a CSO York copy would be tempting to lots of people if it were along the price line of other Chinese instruments.
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

Post by AnorakHorn »

It would be great to see another entry into the British Tenor Horn market. After showcasing what Wessex can do with tuba designs, I would say you could quite easily create a better and more affordable option for horn players. Maybe a Wessex take on the Globe Plated Sovereigns...?

Another I would like to see is a small front action piston CC/BBb tuba. Something similar to the Yamaha 621 style instruments, with a small 15" or alike bell.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

This would be nice. Big ol' Martin:

AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AHynds »

Compensating F tuba
French C tuba
Double-bell euphonium
6/4 CC tuba
Eb Helicon
G tuba (like Bobo's)
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

michael_glenn wrote:I certainly think a CSO York copy would be tempting to lots of people if it were along the price line of other Chinese instruments.
+1. There's not a Chinese York-style 6/4 copy yet, is there?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

BMB is made in China.
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Cthuba »

I'm with everyone on the 6/4 tuba idea. Just a good one. CC or not, just a good 6/4. I'm down with a good BBb.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

How about valve blocks? There seems to be a weird embargo about selling valve blocks by themselves. I bet they'd sell...
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

AnorakHorn wrote:
Another I would like to see is a small front action piston CC/BBb tuba. Something similar to the Yamaha 621 style instruments, with a small 15" or alike bell.
In BBb, that's just what I'm looking for.

A Helicon would be nice too.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

UncleBeer wrote:This would be nice. Big ol' Martin:
:smile:

How about a dual bore slide option for bass trombone? A very small front piston bass tuba would be cool.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Thanks for the ideas to date. I can say some of those are already in development or planned. But there are other good ideas we had not previously considered.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

58mark wrote:There already is a very nice chinese 621 CC copy. A member of this forum owns one, and as far as I know he's very happy with it. They are hard to find in America, so even Getting wessex to distribute them would be a nice accomplishment
I've got one on order that will be here in a few weeks. Even though he doesn't stock them or put them on the Mack Brass web site, Tom McGrady got it for me.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

This isn't a request for a particular instrument, but I do wonder if Jinbao could be persuaded to do something about the linkages on rotary tubas.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Michael Bush wrote:This isn't a request for a particular instrument, but I do wonder if Jinbao could be persuaded to do something about the linkages on rotary tubas.
Michael, Do what to the linkages? I have never had a problem personally and we have only had a handful of issues out of hundreds of tubas sold.

I would be pleased to hear (particularly from repair techs) about suggested quality improvements, as I am (I believe) well placed to get implemented. But I would prefer those by email or PM as I would rather this thread did not turn into a series of grips about quality issues.

I will be going to the factory in June and will with my UK repair tech, Jim Langley be auditing the whole quality assurance process (with full approval of the CEO) - so this is good time to put forward production/quality improvements.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

Neptune wrote:
Michael Bush wrote:This isn't a request for a particular instrument, but I do wonder if Jinbao could be persuaded to do something about the linkages on rotary tubas.
Michael, Do what to the linkages? I have never had a problem personally and we have only had a handful of issues out of hundreds of tubas sold.

I would be pleased to hear (particularly from repair techs) about suggested quality improvements, as I am (I believe) well placed to get implemented. But I would prefer those by email or PM as I would rather this thread did not turn into a series of grips about quality issues.

I will be going to the factory in June and will with my UK repair tech, Jim Langley be auditing the whole quality assurance process (with full approval of the CEO) - so this is good time to put forward production/quality improvements.
I sent you a PM, Jonathan. Thanks.
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

6/4 BBb designed by Sam Gnagey.
guillaumedu
bugler
bugler

Post by guillaumedu »

6/4 York cc tuba
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

bort wrote:BMB is made in China.
Yeah, and their BBb is a winner. Unfortunately, the CC isn't great IMHO. Definitely room in the market for a good CC piston BAT version.