Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by Wyvern »

doddyhop wrote:A smaller York CC or Large 5/4 CC looking like a 5450 Thor or PT6 with York style tubing configuration.
True/Large 5/4 CC. Not Wyvern 5/4 ("4.5/4").
5 Rotary Kaiser CC similar to Melton 197/2
F tuba that is very large for an F tuba to which may feel a bit like a contrabass tuba
Other Keyed Bass Trumpet: C or Eb
You will be pleased that some of those are planned...
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Glad to see that some consideration is being given to offering a keyed bass trumpet in C. I hope it includes 4 rotors and smooth-working triggers for tuning the third, first, and fourth valve slides.

Ace
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tubaing »

3 valve compensating student model tuba.

Compensating Double student model french horn.
Kevin Specht
Keep on Tubaing
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Wyvern wrote:
doddyhop wrote:A smaller York CC or Large 5/4 CC looking like a 5450 Thor or PT6 with York style tubing configuration.
F tuba that is very large for an F tuba to which may feel a bit like a contrabass tuba
I'm intrigued, when should we expect news about one or some of these?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

DouglasJB wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
I'm intrigued, when should we expect news about one or some of these?
The bass trumpet is soon. I hope early next year.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

Any plans on a Wessex version of an improvement on the YFB-621 or YFB-821 style F tubas?
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Matthew Gilchrest wrote:Any plans on a Wessex version of an improvement on the YFB-621 or YFB-821 style F tubas?
There will be front action version of the British F tuba which will be much better than the YFB-621. The new TF556 F tuba will be similar size to YFB-821
Tubameister
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubameister »

A copy of a rotary Neptune
tubadoctor
bugler
bugler

Post by tubadoctor »

Any plans in the works for a Norwegian Star Eb clone?
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Post by lowtones425 »

I’d like to see a modernized Miraphone 186, with the main change being a vertical tuning slide like you’d find on a Rudy Meinl 3/4 or a PT6. Maybe also some adjustments to make the design more compact.
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

lowtones425 wrote:I’d like to see a modernized Miraphone 186
I always wished for a more compact wrap of the 186, so that the bell didn't constitute 1/2 the height of the instrument.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I like long stories. Is this written up anywhere?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Makes sense, Cerveny is way older than Miraphone. Kind of interesting that both have survived, and both are quite different.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

UncleBeer wrote:
lowtones425 wrote:I’d like to see a modernized Miraphone 186
I always wished for a more compact wrap of the 186, so that the bell didn't constitute 1/2 the height of the instrument.
Should be possible. What it means is keeping the tapers for the good intonation with a re-wrap. That means prototyping with all new components, rather than tweaking what has gone before, but Wessex will soon be set up to do such
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

I thought we were talking about BBb 186?

BTW The CC TB470 which Wessex sells already has the bell reduced to 16.5” like the classic Miraphone and not 17.5” like the newer tubas. It is a tuba I have tried to discontinue as a clone, but have brought back by popular request. We can’t get them made quick enough.
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Post by lowtones425 »

My bad... I should have been a bit more specific.

I'd like to see a modernized 186 in CC (with the usual 5 rotor valves). Emphasis on the vertical tuning slide. It's a pet peeve of mine with Miraphones in general. I'd also like to see (and this is a minuscule detail) a nicely designed 5th valve paddle that's not the Miraphone T bar.

Might be a good offering for the undergraduate market.
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

I just learned today that Boosey & Hawkes produced a compensating Eb sousaphone as part of their “Imperial” line. Could this be done with existing parts: current Eb sousa + Cavalry valve section?

This would be so awesome.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Ltrain wrote:I just learned today that Boosey & Hawkes produced a compensating Eb sousaphone as part of their “Imperial” line. Could this be done with existing parts: current Eb sousa + Cavalry valve section?

This would be so awesome.
I have seen them - in fact know where one is. They are actually quite small bore, more like a sousaphone version of a Wessex Bombino Eb than a full size compensated Eb. However as that tuba is a great player (often my preferred horn), there is no reason why a sousaphone version would not be too.

The one I have tried I cannot comment on its playing as the valves were so worn and leaky.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Hmmm. Interesting discussion on a compensating sousaphone. Hmmm. Using the Besson New Standard style 3-valve comp as a model, it seems that the leadpipe is about the same length as would be on a souzy neck; the bore, at .730, is right there with Conn at .734 and Yammy and others at .728; use straighter knuckles and re-work the curve of the 3rd valve slide coming back around for the comp loops, and it may be feasible. The downside is as with any souzy: it may be difficult to repair dents in the various circuits from the inherent risks associated with marching. The upside is that C and low F would be much better in tune, albeit at a risk of stuffiness. Since I don't march anymore, but do occasionally play an outdoor concert with a souzy, I wouldn't have to worry about "riding throttle" on the upper loop of my 1st valve slide, which I have converted to a movable slide to pull for valve combinations and push for 2nd space C tending to be flat.

Remember that the default for a 3-valve comp BBb instrument is to tune all three of the circuits "dead," meaning that 1+2 G and D tend to ride sharp, and are usually played 3 alone, since the 3rd valve slide does not have to be pulled to get 2+3 Gb and Db or 1+3 C and low F in tune with the comp loops.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

Alexander 163 CC copy. Alexander 157 copy. Goldbrass, both with 6 valves (4+2), please.